In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mexican chicken and cauliflower “rice” with sweet peppers
Paleo, Diabetes-Friendly, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Family-Friendly, Dairy-Free, Carb-Conscious
2 Servings, 440 Calories/Serving
Inspired by Mexican red rice, or arroz rojo, this paleo-friendly dish is bursting with color and flavor—from bright vegetables to our aromatic sofrito.
In your bag
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 6 ounces organic sweet mini peppers
- ½ head organic cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Sun Basket sofrito (cilantro - roasted red peppers - tomatoes - onion - garlic - parsley - dried Mexican oregano)
Calories: 440, Protein: 38g (76% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 19g (29% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 510mg (21% DV), Carbohydrates: 31g (10% DV), Total Sugars: 15g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken strips into 1-inch pieces. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. Meanwhile, start preparing the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Remove the stems from the sweet mini peppers, shake out any seeds, and cut the peppers crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rings.
- Cut the cauliflower lengthwise into quarters, discarding any leaves or thick stalks. Using a food processor fitted with the grater attachment, or the coarse holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the cauliflower. Alternatively, using a knife, cut the florets and tender stems into ¼-inch pieces.
Cook the vegetables; finish the dish
In the same pan used for the chicken, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, sweet smoked paprika, and sweet mini peppers and cook until the tomato paste starts to brown and the peppers start to soften, about 1 minute.
Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, cauliflower “rice,” tomatoes, sofrito, and ¾ cup [1½ cups] water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the cauliflower is crisp-tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and cauliflower “rice” to individual bowls and serve.
- Measure the onion.
- Shake out the seeds from the peppers.
- Measure the water for the cauliflower “rice.”
- Time the cooking.