In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Mexican chicken and cauliflower “rice” with sweet peppers
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 430 Calories/Serving
Red rice never looked so good. Our version of arroz rojo gets its stunning crimson hues from umami-rich tomato paste, sweet smoked paprika, and our aromatic sofrito.
In your bag
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- Your choice of protein
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 6 ounces organic sweet mini peppers
- ½ head organic cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Sunbasket sofrito (cilantro - roasted red peppers - tomatoes - onion - garlic - parsley - dried Mexican oregano)
Calories 430, Total Fat 19g (24% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 105mg (35% DV), Sodium 260mg (11% DV), Total Carb. 30g (11% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 15g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 39g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep your protein
Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; crumble or cut into ½-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; cut any large pieces into 1-inch chunks. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook your protein
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes for regular shrimp; 4 to 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp, scallops, steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. Meanwhile, start preparing the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Remove the stems from the sweet mini peppers, shake out any seeds, and cut the peppers crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rings.
- Cut the cauliflower lengthwise into quarters, discarding any leaves or thick stalks. Using a food processor fitted with the grater attachment, or the coarse holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the cauliflower. Alternatively, using a knife, cut the florets and tender stems into ¼-inch pieces.
Cook the vegetables; finish the dish
hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, sweet smoked paprika, and sweet mini peppers and cook until the tomato paste starts to brown and the peppers start to soften, about 1 minute.
Add the cauliflower “rice,” tomatoes, sofrito, and ½ cup [1 cup] water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower starts to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in your protein and any accumulated juices and cook until the protein is heated through and the cauliflower is just tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer your protein and cauliflower “rice” to individual bowls and serve.
- Measure the onion.
- Shake out the seeds from the peppers.
- Measure the water for the cauliflower “rice.”
- Time the cooking.