Almond-crusted trout with chermoula and cucumber-olive salad
Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
In Chef Justine’s contemporary riff on the French classic truite amandine, she gives the fish an inspired crust by dredging it in almond meal and slivered almonds instead of flour. The almonds prove a natural match for the lively herb flavors of the chermoula, a Moroccan sauce traditionally paired with seafood.
- 1 Persian cucumber
- 3 tablespoons Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons Castelvetrano olives
- 1 lemon
- Two 6-ounce trout fillets
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Sun Basket chermoula (fresh parsley - cilantro - olive oil - fresh garlic - coriander - cumin - salt - ascorbic acid)
Make the cucumber-olive salad
- Trim the ends from the cucumber; peel the cucumber, if desired. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the Kalamata and Castelvetrano olives.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate. Set aside the juice for the chermoula.
Prep the trout
- Pat the trout dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, spread the almond meal in an even layer; season with salt and pepper.
- Crack the egg into another shallow bowl; season with salt and pepper. With a whisk or fork, lightly beat until just blended.
- In another shallow bowl or plate, spread the slivered almonds in an even layer.
Cook the trout
While the trout cooks, finish the chermoula.
Assemble the chermoula
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 780 , Protein: 38 g, Total Fat: 64 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 41 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 220 mg, Carbohydrates 11 g, Fiber: 5 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 970 mg
Contains: fish, tree nuts, eggs