In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
American chop suey with ground beef and bow tie pasta in tomato sauce
Mediterranean, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 730 Calories/Serving
The beauty of this New England pasta dish is that it’s 100% customizable. Choose your favorite protein, then combine it with a hearty combo of sautéed bell pepper, rich tomato sauce, and tender pasta.
In your bag
- 10 ounces ground beef
- 5 ounces whole wheat bow tie pasta
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic green or other bell pepper
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket garlic-herb blend (granulated garlic - dried thyme - dried oregano)
- Sunbasket tomato sauce (tomatoes - onions - garlic - olive oil - salt - spices)
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Calories 730, Total Fat 30g (38% DV), Sat. Fat 11g (55% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 90mg (30% DV), Sodium 800mg (35% DV), Total Carb. 74g (27% DV), Fiber 14g (50% DV), Total Sugars 13g (Incl. 1g Added Sugars, 2% DV), Protein 41g
Contains: Milk, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the bow tie pasta
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the bow tie pasta and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, reserving ½ cup [¾ cup] pasta cooking water. While the water is heating and the bow tie pasta is cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the vegetables and parsley
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ½-inch pieces.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Prep your protein
Ground meat (including plant based): Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; crumble or cut into ½-inch pieces.
Cook the chop suey
In a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add your protein and garlic-herb blend, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring and breaking up the ground meat if using, until the protein is lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the tomato sauce, parsley, bow tie pasta, and reserved pasta cooking water and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened slightly and your protein is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in half the Worcestershire sauce, adding more to taste, if desired.
Transfer the chop suey to individual bowls, garnish with the Parmesan, and serve.
- Fill a sauce pot with water for the bow tie pasta.
- Time the pasta.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Garnish with the Parmesan.