Ancho chicken pozole with hominy

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Ancho chicken pozole with hominy

Ancho chicken pozole with hominy

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 350 Calories/Serving

35–50 Minutes

Enjoy Executive Chef Justine Kelly’s heart-healthy take on pozole, a comforting New Mexican stew made with hominy and topped with fresh, flavorful garnishes.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 1 organic yellow onion
  • 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
  • Sunbasket Santa Fe spice blend (cumin - dried Mexican oregano - ancho chile powder - granulated garlic)
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • Chicken options:
  • 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
  • ½ cup cooked hominy
  • ¼ pound organic shredded green or other cabbage
  • 2 or 3 organic radishes (about 2 ounces total)
  • 1 organic lime

Nutrition per serving

Calories 350, Total Fat 15g (19% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 135mg (45% DV), Sodium 460mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 25g (9% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 32g

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Prep the onion and cilantro

  • Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
  • Coarsely chop the cilantro. Set aside half for garnish.


Start the pozole

In a medium [large] sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the Santa Fe spice blend and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. 

Add the vegetable broth, 1¾ cups [3 cups] water, and half the cilantro and bring to a boil. Add the chicken, making sure the pieces are separated, cover, and cook over high heat until opaque and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the chicken to a plate to cool, then using a fork, shred the chicken. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients. 


Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the pozole

  • Rinse the hominy.
  • Set aside half the cabbage for garnish.
  • Cut the radishes in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons for garnish.
  • Cut the lime into wedges for garnish.

To the pot with the chicken cooking liquid, stir in the shredded chicken and hominy and cook over medium heat until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in half the cabbage and cook until just wilted, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. 


Transfer the pozole to individual bowls and garnish with the radishes and remaining cilantro and cabbage. Serve with the lime wedges.

Kids Can!
  • Measure the onion.
  • Divide the cilantro and cabbage in half.
  • Measure the water for the pozole.
  • Rinse the hominy.
  • Garnish the pozole.