Williams-Sonoma Italian sausage and apple stuffing
50 – 60 Minutes
You can’t get more classic than this comforting Thanksgiving combination of pork sausage, apples, and fresh herbs. While this is technically a “dressing,” not a stuffing, since it’s baked on its own, not inside a bird, feel free to use some or all of it to stuff your turkey. On its own, it can be piled into a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan, or spread out in a shallow 9-by-13-inch baking dish, depending on how much crust you prefer.
- 2 ciabatta rolls
- ½ pound loose mild Italian pork sausage
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 to 3 celery ribs
- ¾ pound Granny Smith apples
- Fresh sage
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup vegetable stock
Toast the ciabatta
- Cut the ciabatta rolls, including crust, into ½- to 1-inch cubes.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Drain the sausage on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Peel and coarsely chop the onions.
- Cut the celery into ½-inch pieces.
- Cut the apples into quarters, remove the core, then cut the fruit into ¼-to-½-inch cubes.
- Strip the sage leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Cook the stuffing ingredients
Add 1 to 2 tablespoons oil to the pan, if needed, and warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until just softened and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the celery and apple, season with salt and pepper, and cook until softened and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the sage, thyme, and nutmeg, season with salt and pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Scrape the mixture into the bowl with the sausage. Add the toasted ciabatta and parsley, then stir to combine.
Bake the stuffing
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl; lightly beat until blended.
- Lightly oil the baking dish.
Calories: 230, Protein: 9 g, Total Fat: 10 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 70 mg, Sodium: 500 mg, Carbohydrates 29 g, Fiber: 3 g, Added Sugar: 0 g.
Contains: Eggs, Wheat