Argentinian grilled chicken and summer vegetables with green rice
Paleo Friendly, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
This paleo-friendly, gluten-free chicken dinner comes by way of Argentina with chimichurri and arroz verde, making an easy, impressive summer supper.
- 1½ cups jasmine rice
- Chimichurri spice blend (cumin - sweet smoked paprika - granulated garlic)
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- 3 or 4 red radishes
- 10 ounces baby broccoli
- 2 poblano chiles (optional)
- 4 scallions
- Four 6-ounce boneless skin-on chicken breasts
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the chimichurri.
Make the chimichurri
- Set aside half the chimichurri spice blend for the chicken.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
- Finely chop the cilantro; set aside half for the rice.
- Zest and juice the limes, keeping the zest and juice separate. Set aside half the zest for the rice; the juice will be divided between the chimichurri and the rice.
Prep and cook the vegetables
- Trim the ends from the radishes; cut them in half or into quarters.
- Trim the ends from the baby broccoli.
- If using, cut the poblanos in half lengthwise; remove the stem, ribs, and seeds. Wash your hands after handling.
In a large grill pan or frying pan over high heat, add the vegetables and cook until lightly browned and just tender, 2 to 4 minutes per side; the scallions may cook more quickly. Transfer the vegetables to a plate as they finish cooking; wipe out the pan. When cool enough to handle, coarsely chop the poblanos.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt, pepper, and the remaining chimichurri spice blend.
While the chicken cooks, finish the rice.
Season the rice
Chef’s tip: If any family members want to skip the rice because of a paleo diet or any other reason, cook enough for the omnivores, but chop all the herbs and stir any extra into the chimichurri for even bolder flavor.
- Rinse the rice.
- Strip the parsley.
- Juice the limes.
- Spoon on the chimichurri and help serve.
- Sweep the floor.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 670 Protein: 33g, Total Fat: 29g, Monounsaturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 75mg, Carbohydrates: 68g, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 3g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 230mg
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 430, Protein: 28g, Total Fat: 29g, Monounsaturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 75mg, Carbohydrates: 16g, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 3g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 230mg