Argentinian chicken with green rice and chimichurri
Paleo-Friendly, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
This paleo-friendly, gluten-free chicken dinner comes by way of Argentina with chimichurri and arroz verde, making an easy, impressive summer supper.
- 1½ cups jasmine rice
- Chimichurri spice blend (cumin - sweet smoked paprika - granulated garlic)
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- 5 or 6 red radishes
- 10 ounces baby broccoli
- 2 poblanos (optional)
- 6 scallions
- Four 6-ounce boneless skin-on chicken breasts
If any family members want to skip the rice because of a paleo diet or any other reason, cook only enough for the omnivores, but chop all the herbs and stir the extra into the chimichurri for even bolder flavor.
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the chimichurri.
Make the chimichurri
- Set aside half the chimichurri spice blend for the chicken.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
- Finely chop the cilantro; set aside half for the rice.
- Zest the limes. Set aside half the zest for the rice.
- Juice the limes (the juice will be divided between the chimichurri and the rice).
Prep and cook the vegetables
- Trim the ends from the radishes; cut them in half or into quarters.
- Trim the ends from the baby broccoli.
- If using, cut the poblanos in half lengthwise; remove the stems, ribs, and seeds. Wash your hands after handling.
In a large grill pan or frying pan over high heat, add the vegetables and cook until lightly browned and just tender, 2 to 4 minutes per side; the scallions may cook more quickly. Transfer the vegetables to a plate as they finish cooking; wipe out the pan. When cool enough to handle, coarsely chop the poblanos.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt, pepper, and the remaining chimichurri spice blend.
While the chicken cooks, finish the rice.
Season the rice
- Rinse the rice.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Juice the limes.
- Spoon on the chimichurri and help serve.
- Sweep the floor.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 33g (66% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 26g (40% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 16g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 75mg (25% DV), Sodium: 230mg (10% DV), Carbohydrates: 69g (23% DV), Total Sugars: 3g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Paleo-strict nutrition: Calories: 410, Protein: 28g (56% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 26g (40% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 16g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 75mg (25% DV), Sodium: 230mg (10% DV), Carbohydrates: 17g (6% DV), Total Sugars: 3g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.