In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Autumnal turkey soup with delicata squash, kale, and Urfa chile oil
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Spicy, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 390 Calories/Serving
Cold weather is no match for this soul-warming soup, brimming with your choice of protein and an earthy combo of delicata squash, cremini mushrooms, and kale.
In your bag
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 1 organic delicata squash (about ¾ pound)
- ¼ pound organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Urfa chile flakes
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket herb blend (granulated garlic - onion powder - dried thyme - dried oregano)
- ½ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 3 ounces organic shredded kale or other leafy greens
Calories 390, Total Fat 18g (23% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 100mg (33% DV), Sodium 190mg (8% DV), Total Carb. 27g (10% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 4g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 34g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep the vegetables, sage, and chile oil
- Trim the ends from the delicata squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then cut each half crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Strip the sage leaves from the stems and finely chop enough to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp]. Save any remaining sage for another use.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sherry vinegar, Urfa chile, and 1½ teaspoons [1 TBL] oil. Let stand while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep your protein
- Ground meat (including plant based): Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels and coarsely chop or crumble it.
In a medium bowl, combine your protein and herb blend, season with salt and pepper, and mix until just blended.
Cook the soup
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring to break up the ground meat if using into 1-inch pieces, until starting to brown but not yet cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the mirepoix, delicata squash, mushrooms, and sage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add 3 cups [5 cups] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a vigorous simmer. Add the kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until your protein is cooked through, the vegetables are tender, and the kale is just wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the soup to individual bowls and garnish with as much Urfa chile oil as you like. Serve any remaining chile oil on the side.
- Scoop out the squash seeds.
- Strip the sage leaves.
- Measure the water for the soup.
- Time the cooking.