Avgolemono chicken soup with lemon, egg, and cauliflower “rice”
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
30 - 40 Minutes
This lush chicken soup is thickened with eggs and seasoned with the bright taste of lemon. It’s traditionally served on Christmas Eve all over Greece. It’s usually made with rice, but we’ve subbed in cauliflower to make a paleo-friendly version that we think is even more delicious than the original. Our nutritionist, Kaley Todd finds it surprisingly low in calories for something so rich and filling.
- Two 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 to 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- ¾ pound cauliflower “rice”
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh dill
- 1 lemon
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
Poach the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
While the water heats and the chicken cooks, start the cauliflower “rice.”
Cook the cauliflower “rice”
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
While the cauliflower cooks, prepare the remaining soup ingredients.
Prep the remaining soup ingredients
- Using a fork or your hands, shred the chicken meat into strips.
- Strip the parsley and dill leaves from their stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Zest enough of the lemon to make ¼ teaspoon zest; juice the lemon.
- Crack the eggs into a small heatproof bowl; whisk until smooth.
Finish the soup
Add the egg mixture to the simmering broth and whisk until incorporated. Add the chicken strips, cauliflower “rice,” parsley, dill, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 580, Protein: 45 g, Total Fat: 37 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 24.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 260 mg, Carbohydrates: 19 g, Fiber: 5 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 480 mg