In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Avgolemono chicken soup with lemon, egg, and cauliflower “rice”
Gluten-Free, Mediterranean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Lean & Clean
2 Servings, 520 Calories/Serving
Avgolemono, an egg-lemon soup, is traditionally served on Christmas Eve in Greece, but this delicious, easy-to-make dish is delicious all year long.
In your bag
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 10 ounces organic cauliflower “rice”
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh dill
- 1 organic lemon
- 2 organic eggs
Make It Leaner
Use only 2 teaspoons oil to cook the cauliflower rice and you’ll cut 20 to 80 calories and 2.5 to 9.5 grams of fat from each serving. Skip the final drizzle of oil over the soup and save an additional 60 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving.
According to the Herb Society of America, dill has been prized for thousands of years for its medicinal qualities. In ancient Rome, “gladiators were fed meals covered with dill because it was hoped that the herb would grant them valor and courage.”
Make It Ahead
The soup (Steps 1 through 4) can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, gently rewarm the soup until just heated through and serve. (Be careful not to let the soup boil or the eggs may curdle.)
Calories: 520, Protein: 48g (96% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 280mg (93% DV), Sodium: 180mg (8% DV), Carbohydrates: 16g (5% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugar: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the chicken
While the chicken cooks, prepare the rest of the meal.
Cook the cauliflower “rice”
- Peel and thinly slice enough shallots to measure ⅓ cup [⅔ cup].
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
While the cauliflower cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop enough dill to measure 1 tablespoon [2 TBL]. Save any remaining dill for another use.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
- Crack the eggs into a medium heatproof bowl and season with salt and pepper. With a fork or whisk, lightly beat until just blended.
Finish the soup
- Time the chicken.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure the shallots and garlic.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Measure the dill.