In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Baja shrimp bowls with spicy chipotle cabbage over cilantro-lime rice
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Pescatarian, Spicy, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 500 Calories/Serving
Did someone say tacos? We sure did. Take a trip down the Baja peninsula with these mouthwatering taco bowls featuring your choice of protein plus cabbage cooked in our smokin’ chipotle mojo.
In your bag
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage
- Sunbasket chipotle mojo (chipotle chiles in adobo - orange juice - lime juice - extra virgin olive oil - garlic - kosher salt - Aleppo chile flakes - onion - cumin - dried Mexican oregano)
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket cumin spice blend (cumin - dried Mexican oregano - ancho chile powder - granulated garlic)
- 1 or 2 organic radishes (about 2 ounces total)
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pumpkin seeds
Calories 500, Total Fat 25g (32% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 155mg (52% DV), Sodium 470mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 51g (19% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 6g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 26g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1 cup [1½ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and cook the cabbage
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; coarsely chop the cabbage.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the cabbage, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften and brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] chipotle mojo, adding more if desired, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Do not clean the pan. While the cabbage is cooking, start preparing your protein.
Prep your protein
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the cumin spice blend.
- Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper and the cumin spice blend.
- Chicken breasts or pork loin chops: Pat the meat dry with a paper towel; cut into 1-inch strips. Season with salt and pepper and the cumin spice blend.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; crumble or cut it into ½-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper and the cumin spice blend.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper and the cumin spice blend.
Cook your protein
In the same pan used for the cabbage, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes for regular shrimp; 4 to 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp, scallops, steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken. Transfer to a plate. While your protein is cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the rice
- Cut the radishes in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Zest and juice the lime, keeping the zest and juice separate. [Zest 1 lime; juice both limes.]
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
In a small bowl, stir together the radishes, lime zest, half the lime juice, and 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
To the pot with the rice, stir in the cilantro and remaining lime juice.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with the cabbage and your protein. Garnish with the radishes and pumpkin seeds and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir the radishes.
- Garnish the bowls.