Baked shrimp with tomato, feta, orzo, and mint
25 - 35 Minutes
This classic Greek gratin strikes a lovely balance between hearty and light. Crumbled, salty feta brings a piquant note to the briny shrimp—and puts to rest the misguided notion that cheese and seafood don’t mix. The rice-like pasta, orzo, is a popular ingredient in Greek pasta salads; here it’s tossed with lemon zest and mint for a zippy side dish.
- 1 lemon
- Fresh mint
- ¾ cup orzo
- 1 to 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 pound tomatoes
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 ounces crumbled feta
Prep and cook the orzo
- Zest the lemon and juice half.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
In a bowl, combine the cooked orzo, lemon zest and juice, and half the mint. Drizzle with 1 to 2 tablespoons oil, season to taste with salt, and toss to combine. While the orzo cooks, prepare the gratin ingredients.
Prep the gratin ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Thinly slice 1 to 2 cloves garlic.
- Core the tomatoes, cut them in half lengthwise, then squeeze out and discard the seeds. Chop the seeded tomatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- Rinse the shrimp, pat dry with a paper towel, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Cook the tomatoes and shrimp
Stir in the tomatoes, season with salt, and cook over high heat, stirring a few times, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the shrimp, parsley, and ¼ cup reserved orzo cooking liquid. Add more reserved liquid if the sauce is too thick. Bring to a boil, then immediately remove the pan from the heat.
Broil the gratin
- To cook this recipe in even less time, in Step 2, cook the shallots while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Broilers vary widely in the amount of heat they deliver, so watch the gratin carefully to make sure that the feta does not burn.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 640, Protein: 36 g, Total Fat: 23 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 205 mg, Carbohydrates: 75 g, Fiber: 7 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 1280 mg
Contains: milk, wheat, shellfish