Baked shrimp with tomato, feta, and lemon-mint orzo
Gluten Free, Soy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
This simple gratin, a classic Greek seafood recipe, strikes a lovely balance between hearty and light. Lemon-mint orzo rounds out the meal.
- ⅔ cup gluten-free orzo (contains rice and quinoa flours)
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 3 or 4 Roma tomatoes (about 10 ounces)
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta
- 1 lemon
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh mint
Broilers vary widely in the amount of heat they deliver, so watch the gratin carefully to make sure the feta doesn’t burn.
Cook the orzo
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook at a full boil until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water.
While the water heats and the orzo cooks, prepare the gratin ingredients.
Prep the gratin ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Cut away the cores from the tomatoes; coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; set aside 5 or 6 leaves for garnish if desired and coarsely chop the rest.
Cook the tomatoes and shrimp
Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the shrimp, parsley, and ¼ cup pasta cooking water, adding more if the sauce is too thick. Bring to a boil, then immediately remove from the heat.
Broil the gratin
While the gratin broils, finish the orzo.
Dress the orzo
- Zest the lemon and juice half; set aside half for another use.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 38g (76% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 20g (31% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 230mg (77% DV), Sodium: 640mg (27% DV), Carbohydrates: 66g (22% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: milk, wheat, shellfish.