Banana-leaf steamed fish with braised cabbage
Banana leaves make a fragrant and convenient packet for fish-steaming. Chef Justine uses them here to seal in moisture and infuse the filets with a subtle, grassy aroma. While the fish cooks you have time to braise the cabbage and make the cilantro sauce to serve alongside.
- 2 fish filets
- 4 banana leaves
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 chiles de arbol
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 pound cabbage
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- Large bunch cilantro
- 1 lime
Cook the fish
While the fish cooks, braise the cabbage.
Braise the cabbage
- Peel and thinly slice the ginger.
- Chop the garlic.
- Wash and coarsely chop the cabbage.
While the cabbage cooks, make the sauce.
Make the cilantro sauce
- Chop the cilantro, including the stems.
- Zest and juice the lime. /li>