Banana-leaf wrapped salmon with cabbage slaw
paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
The banana leaves in this recipe are as utilitarian as they are exotic. The leaves help keep the fish from drying out as it cooks while lending their own earthy flavor to the salmon.
- 8 ounces napa cabbage
- 4 ounces Persian cucumbers
- 3 to 4 red radishes
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 4 banana leaves
- 2 wild Alaskan salmon filets
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce dressing (fish sauce-maple syrup-rice wine vinegar)
Prep the vegetables; roast the cashews
- Rinse the cabbage, pat dry and cut into thin slices.
- Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and then into ¼-inch-thick pieces.
- Rinse the radishes, cut in half and thinly slice.
- Peel the ginger and finely chop or grate.
- Finely chop the cilantro, including the stems.
- Juice the limes.
- Tear the kaffir lime leaves into pieces.
Prep and cook the salmon
Make the dressing and the slaw
In a mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, cucumbers, radish, cilantro and toasted cashews. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons oil, half of the dressing and toss until well combined.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 570, Protein: 42 g, Total Fat: 33 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 19.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 80 mg, Carbohydrates: 30 g, Fiber: 5 g, Added Sugar: 6 g, Sodium: 830 mg