Banh mi chicken salad with quick pickles and sesame-miso dressing
Gluten Free, Dairy Free
20 – 30 Minutes
We’ve taken the liberty of recasting the traditional components of banh mi, the classic Vietnamese sandwich, in salad form. The pickle in this healthy main course includes vitamin-packed cucumber and carrot, while the salad dressing is made with probiotic-rich miso that brings beneficial bacteria to the gut.
- 1 lime
- 1 serrano chile (optional)
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- Sun Basket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - fresh ginger - fresh garlic - turmeric - olive oil - salt)
- 1 or 2 Persian cucumbers
- Quick-pickle brine (coconut vinegar - maple syrup - salt)
- 1 ounce shredded carrots
- 1 head romaine
- 2 scallions
- Fresh basil
- Fresh cilantro
- Dressing base (rice vinegar - gluten-free white miso - sesame oil)
Marinate the chicken
- Zest and juice the lime, keeping the zest and juice separate. Divide the lime juice into two equal portions; set aside one for the pickles and one for the salad dressing.
- If using, trim off the top and thinly slice the serrano; wash your hands after handling.
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
While the chicken marinates, prepare the pickled cucumbers and carrots.
Pickle the cucumbers and carrots
- Trim the ends from the cucumbers; cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise, then crosswise into thin half-moons.
Cook the chicken
While the chicken cooks, start the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the romaine; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 640, Protein: 36g, Total Fat: 44g, Monounsaturated Fat: 25g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 115mg, Carbohydrates: 32mg, Fiber: 11g, Sugar: 10g, Added Sugars (Maple syrup): 2g, Sodium: 900mg