Barbacoa chicken sliders with cabbage slaw and peach-feta salad
30 – 40 Minutes
Our barbacoa sauce in these easy sliders brings on the heat, while a fast slaw and a peach-feta salad cool things off.
- 3 or 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces each)
- Sun Basket barbacoa (chipotle peppers in gluten-free adobo - tomato paste - maple syrup - Dijon mustard - apple cider vinegar - cinnamon)
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- Slaw dressing base (red onion - fresh garlic - red wine vinegar)
- 3 ounces shredded Savoy cabbage
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 peaches
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh mint
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 3 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
- 4 brioche slider buns
Celery seeds are harvested from the small white flowers of the celery plant. When dried, they’re a common ingredient in pickling mixes. Here, we’ve added a generous sprinkling to the slaw to give it celery flavor without the chopping.
Cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the chicken cooks and cools, prepare the cabbage slaw.
Make the cabbage slaw
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- If using, cut the jalapeño in half lengthwise, then remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; cut the jalapeño crosswise into thin half-moons. Wash your hands after handling.
Let stand while you prepare the peach-feta salad.
Make the peach-feta salad
- Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits; cut the fruit into ½-inch pieces.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Toast the buns; assemble the sliders
- Cut the buns in half.
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on a work surface. Top with the chicken and cabbage slaw. Close with the bun tops.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 43g (86% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 36g (55% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 10g (50% DV), Cholesterol: 170mg (57% DV), Sodium: 1160mg (48% DV), Carbohydrates: 66g (22% DV), Total Sugars: 21g, Added Sugars (Maple syrup and trace amounts of sugar in Barbacoa): 3g (6% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: milk, soy, wheat, eggs.