In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy barbacoa pulled-pork sliders with apple slaw
2 Servings, 630 Calories/Serving
Barbacoa is a style of slow-roasting meat over an open fire, but lucky for you, no grill (or firepit) is needed to make these easy sliders featuring precooked pork shoulder.
In your bag
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about 7 ounces)
- 1 organic Fuji or other apple
- Sunbasket coleslaw dressing (paleo mayo - honey - apple cider vinegar - celery seeds)
- Sunbasket chipotle barbacoa glaze (tomato paste - Dijon mustard - chipotle chiles in gluten-free adobo - maple syrup - apple cider vinegar - kosher salt - cinnamon)
- 4 slider buns
- 10 ounces braised pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeños (optional)
Calories: 630, Protein: 33g (66% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 30g (46% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 120mg (40% DV), Sodium: 950mg (40% DV), Carbohydrates: 54g (18% DV), Total Sugars: 19g, Added Sugars: 7g (14% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the apple slaw
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Peel the apple, if desired. Core and cut the apple into matchsticks.
In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, apple, and coleslaw dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toast the buns; heat the pork
- Set aside half the barbacoa glaze for serving.
In a large frying pan, place the buns, cut sides down, and cook over medium-high heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven. Transfer to a plate.
Add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the pork and cook, stirring once or twice, until the meat begins to crisp around the edges, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in up to half the barbacoa glaze to taste (see Chef’s Tip). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on individual plates. Top with the pork and some of the apple slaw and garnish with as many jalapeños as you like. Close with the bun tops. Serve the remaining slaw and barbacoa glaze on the side.
- Assemble the slaw.
- Time the cooking.
- Place the bun bottoms on plates.