In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Spicy barbacoa tempeh bowls with quinoa and avocado
Diabetes-Friendly, Dairy-Free, Spicy, Gluten-Free, Vegan
2 Servings, 580 Calories/Serving
Subtly sweet, nutrient-dense tempeh is crave-worthy when it’s tossed with our smoky barbacoa glaze. Just add quinoa and a kale salad: dinner, done.
In your bag
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- 1 organic lime
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- 1 organic avocado
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 3 ounces organic shredded kale or other leafy greens
- Sunbasket spicy chipotle barbacoa glaze (tomato paste - Dijon mustard - chipotle chiles in gluten-free adobo - maple syrup - apple cider vinegar - kosher salt - cinnamon)
Calories: 580, Protein: 27g (54% DV), Fiber: 22g (88% DV), Total Fat: 32g (49% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 480mg (20% DV), Carbohydrates: 49g (16% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 4g (8% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the quinoa
- Rinse the quinoa.
While the quinoa cooks, prepare the rest of the meal.
Start the tempeh
- Crumble or cut the tempeh into ¼-inch pieces.
While the tempeh cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut 1 lime into wedges.]
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; coarsely chop any large pieces.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Finish the tempeh
- Set aside half the barbacoa glaze for serving.
- Rinse the quinoa.
- Crumble the tempeh.
- Juice the lime.
- Massage the kale.
- Help assemble the bowls.