In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Barcelona orzo salad with spicy tempeh “patatas bravas”
Mediterranean, Spicy, Vegan, Dairy-Free
2 Servings, 780 Calories/Serving
Our higher-protein riff on patatas bravas, the beloved Spanish tapa, makes a fun side dish for this warm orzo salad studded with green beans and olives.
In your bag
- 5 ounces orzo
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 3 ounces organic green beans
- ¼ cup pitted Castelvetrano olives
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sun Basket spicy-smoky tomato blend (tomatoes - tomato paste - garlic - sweet smoked paprika - cayenne)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
Calories: 780, Protein: 32g (64% DV), Fiber: 16g (64% DV), Total Fat: 37g (57% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 21g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 320mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 75g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the orzo
While the water heats and the orzo cooks, prepare the tempeh.
Start the tempeh
- Crumble or cut the tempeh into ½-inch pieces.
While the tempeh cooks, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and finely chop the shallots.
- Trim the stem ends from the green beans if needed; cut the beans into 1-inch lengths.
- Cut the olives in half, checking for any pits.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Divide into two equal portions, one for the orzo salad and one for garnish.
Crisp the tempeh; warm the sauce
In the same pan over medium-low heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Stir in the spicy-smoky tomato blend, season with salt and pepper, and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
While the tempeh crisps and the tomato blend heats, cook the vegetables and finish the orzo salad.
Cook the vegetables; assemble the salad
In a small bowl, stir together the sherry vinegar and 2 teaspoons [4 tsp] oil.
To the bowl with the orzo, add the shallots and green beans, olives, half the parsley, and as much sherry vinaigrette as you like and toss to coat (set aside any remaining vinaigrette for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Crumble the tempeh.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Make the vinaigrette.
- Help assemble the salad.
- Garnish with the parsley.