In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Barcelona orzo salad with spicy tempeh “patatas bravas”
Vegan, Dairy-Free, Spicy
2 Servings, 770 Calories/Serving
With a translation like “fierce potatoes,” who could resist patatas bravas? In our high-protein version of this popular Spanish tapa, we swap in pan-fried tempeh for traditional taters—still just as fierce!
In your bag
- 5 ounces orzo
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 6 ounces organic green beans
- ¼ cup pitted Castelvetrano olives
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sunbasket spicy-smoky tomato blend (tomatoes - garlic - sweet smoked paprika - tomato paste - balsamic vinegar - extra virgin olive oil - onion powder - kosher salt - dried oregano - cayenne - black pepper - dried thyme)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
Calories: 770, Protein: 32g (64% DV), Fiber: 17g (68% DV), Total Fat: 38g (58% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 450mg (19% DV), Carbohydrates: 77g (26% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the orzo
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl. Wipe out the pot. While the water is heating and the orzo is cooking, prepare the tempeh.
Start the tempeh
- Crumble or cut the tempeh into ½-inch pieces.
In a large frying pan, combine the tempeh and 1 cup [2 cups] water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the tempeh, transfer to a plate, and pat dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper. Wipe the pan dry. While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and finely chop the shallots.
- Trim the stem ends from the green beans if needed; cut the beans into 1-inch lengths.
- Cut the olives in half, checking for any pits.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Divide into two equal portions, one for the orzo salad and one for garnish.
Crisp the tempeh; warm the tomato blend
In the same pan used to soften the tempeh, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the tempeh and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Wipe out the pan.
In the same pan over medium-low heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Stir in the spicy-smoky tomato blend, season with salt and pepper, and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. While the tempeh is crisping and the tomato blend is heating, cook the vegetables and finish the orzo salad.
Cook the vegetables; assemble the salad
- In a small bowl, stir together the sherry vinegar and 2 teaspoons [4 tsp] oil.
In the same pot used for the orzo, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the shallots and cook until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the green beans, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
To the bowl with the orzo, add the shallots and green beans, olives, half the parsley, and as much sherry vinaigrette as you like and toss to coat (set aside any remaining vinaigrette for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the orzo salad and tempeh to individual bowls. Drizzle the tempeh with half the spicy-smoky tomato blend and garnish with the remaining parsley. Serve any remaining vinaigrette and tomato blend on the side.
- Crumble the tempeh.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Make the vinaigrette.
- Help assemble the salad.
- Garnish with the parsley.