Basil-mint pesto

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Basil-mint pesto

Basil-mint pesto

Gluten-Free Friendly, Vegetarian, <600 Calories

2 Servings, 110 Calories/Serving

10–15 Minutes

One of the most common raves and requests we receive here at Sunbasket is for our sauces. Chef Justine is known for her bold flavors, and her sauces all pack a big punch. A departure from standard basil-and-pine nut pesto, the addition of bright mint and earthy walnuts makes this pesto both livelier and heartier at the same time. We think it also has incredible utility—from pizza to grain bowls. The garlic is optional; leave it out and toss this with a fruit salad. Get creative.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 1 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 1 cup fresh mint leaves
  • 1/3 - ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
  • ¼ cup walnuts
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • lemon
  • 2 cloves garlic - optional

Nutrition per serving

Calories 110, Total Fat 12g (15% DV), Sat. Fat 1.5g (8% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 60mg (3% DV), Total Carb. 2g (1% DV), Fiber 1g (4% DV), Protein 1g


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Prep the ingredients

  • Coarsely chop the walnuts.
  • Zest the lemon to equal ¼ teaspoon.
  • Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons, optional.


Make the pesto

In a food processor using an S blade, pulse the basil and mint. With the motor running, in a steady stream add the olive oil to desired consistency. Add the walnuts, salt, lemon zest, and optional garlic and pulse to combine.


Put a dollop of pesto on top of chicken, pork, or your favorite protein. Mix into freshly cooked pasta, or use as a dip for a thick slice of crusty bread. You can even mix this pesto into softened goat or cream cheese and spread on a bagel. And, of course, pizza.


Chef's Tips

  • Basil and Mint will oxidize quickly, and the pesto will begin to darken, so bring it straight to the table after making it.
  • Raw garlic can be spicy, so we’ve left it optional in this recipe.