In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
BBQ Black Angus steaks and Italian pasta salad with peppers two ways
2 Servings, 990 Calories/Serving
If Peter Piper picked a peck of peppers, how many peppers did Peter Piper pick? We think he would’ve picked two: bell pepper and roasted bell pepper tossed with tomatoes, olives, and Italian dressing for the perfect penne pasta.
In your bag
- 5 ounces penne rigate
- 1 organic orange or other bell pepper
- ¼ pound organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 3 ounces roasted red peppers
- 1 ounce pitted Castelvetrano olives
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup Italian cheese blend (mozzarella - provolone)
- Sunbasket “creamy” Italian dressing base (paleo mayo - champagne vinegar - honey - water - Parmesan - parsley - garlic - red chile flakes - dried oregano)
- Steak options:
- 2 Black Angus rib-eyes (about 10 ounces each)
- 2 Black Angus New York strips (about 10 ounces each)
- 2 Black Angus filet mignons (about 5 ounces each)
- Sunbasket BBQ sauce blend (tomato paste - apple cider vinegar - maple syrup - molasses - vegan Worcestershire - garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)
Calories 990, Total Fat 46g (59% DV), Sat. Fat 15g (75% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 140mg (47% DV), Sodium 1070mg (47% DV), Total Carb. 77g (28% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 19g (Incl. 9g Added Sugars, 18% DV), Protein 68g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the pasta
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the penne rigate and cook until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, return to the pot, and set aside. While the water is heating and the penne is cooking, prepare the remaining pasta salad ingredients.
Prep the remaining salad ingredients
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper into penne-size lengths.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Thinly slice the roasted red peppers into penne-size lengths.
- Cut the olives lengthwise into quarters, checking for any pits.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Make the pasta salad
In a large bowl, stir together the bell pepper, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, olives, parsley, Italian cheese blend, half the “creamy” Italian dressing base, and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Add the warm penne and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and more dressing, if desired. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the steaks.
Prep and cook the steaks
- Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the steaks and cook, turning frequently and brushing with the BBQ sauce blend, until well browned and your desired doneness is reached. For medium-rare, that’s 4 to 6 minutes for rib-eyes and New York strips and 8 to 12 minutes for filet mignons.
Transfer the cooked steaks to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes. Cut the steaks into ½-inch-thick slices.
Transfer the steaks and pasta salad to individual plates and serve.
- Salt the pasta cooking water.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Assemble the pasta salad.
- Time the cooking.
- Transfer the pasta salad to plates.