BBQ pulled chicken sliders with peach-feta salad and cabbage slaw
30 – 40 Minutes
Our house-made BBQ sauce in these easy sliders brings instant intensity, while a fast slaw and salad balance the richness.
- 4 or 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound total)
- Sun Basket BBQ sauce (tomato paste - apple cider vinegar - honey - vegan Worcestershire sauce - unsulfured molasses - fresh garlic - black pepper)
- 1 wedge red cabbage (about ½ pound)
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- Slaw dressing base (yellow onion - fresh garlic - red wine vinegar)
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- 4 peaches
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- ⅓ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 8 slider buns
Celery seeds are harvested from the small white flowers of the celery plant. When dried, they’re a common ingredient in pickling mixes. Here, we’ve added a generous sprinkling to the slaw to give it celery flavor without the chopping.
Cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
When the chicken has cooled, using a fork, shred the chicken and toss with half the BBQ sauce; season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside the remaining BBQ sauce for serving.
While the chicken cooks and cools, prepare the cabbage slaw.
Make the cabbage slaw
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- If using the jalapeño, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; cut the jalapeño crosswise into thin half-moons. Wash your hands after handling.
Let stand while you prepare the peach-feta salad and toast the buns.
Make the peach-feta salad
- Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits; cut the fruit into ½-inch pieces.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
Toast the buns; assemble the sliders
- Cut the buns in half.
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on a work surface. Top with the chicken and cabbage slaw. Close with the bun tops.
- Stir together the cabbage slaw.
- Remove the peach pits.
- Strip and tear the mint leaves.
- Stir together the peach-feta salad.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 39g (78% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 39g (60% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 11g (55% DV), Cholesterol: 155mg (52% DV), Sodium: 900mg (38% DV), Carbohydrates: 75g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 28g, Added Sugars (BBQ sauce contains honey and molasses): 6g (12% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Milk, soy, wheat, eggs.