Beef and broccoli teriyaki with jasmine rice
Gluten Free, Dairy Free
20 - 30 Minutes
In this fast, gluten-free main course, beef top sirloin strips cook quickly in Sun Basket’s custom teriyaki sauce, lightly sweetened with honey. Stir-fried broccoli florets add crunch, fiber, and a load of vitamins. Torn basil leaves lend bright color and a pop of flavor.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 pound top sirloin steak strips
- 1 yellow onion
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 10 ounces broccoli crowns
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Sun Basket teriyaki sauce base (honey - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - sesame oil)
- 2 scallions
- Fresh basil
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the steak and remaining stir-fry ingredients.
Sear the steak
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Prep the remaining stir-fry ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper. Coarsely chop the bell pepper.
- Cut the broccoli crowns into 1-inch florets.
- In a medium bowl, with a whisk or fork, mix together the arrowroot powder, chicken broth, and teriyaki sauce base to form a slurry.
Cook the vegetables and finish the steak
Stir the arrowroot slurry to recombine, then add to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the steak and any accumulated juices, bring to a simmer, and cook until the steak is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes for medium.
While the stir-fry cooks, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the scallions and basil
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal for garnish.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
Chef’s tip To get a nice brown sear on the steak strips, dry the meat as thoroughly as possible before cooking, and give your pan plenty of time to heat before starting the cooking.
- Rinse the rice.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Mix the slurry.
- Strip and tear the basil leaves.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 640, Protein: 31 g, Total Fat: 26 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 85 mg, Carbohydrates: 72 g, Fiber: 4 g, Added Sugar (Honey; Chicken broth contains trace amounts of organic cane sugar): 17 g, Sodium: 820 mg