Beef and broccoli teriyaki with jasmine rice
Gluten Free, Dairy Free
20 – 30 Minutes
In this lush, gluten-free stir-fry, beef top sirloin strips cook quickly in Sun Basket’s custom teriyaki sauce.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1¼ pounds top sirloin steak strips
- 1 yellow onion
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 10 ounces broccoli
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Sun Basket teriyaki sauce base (honey - gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - sesame oil)
- 3 scallions
- Fresh basil
To get a nice brown sear on the steak strips, dry the meat as thoroughly as possible before cooking, and give your pan plenty of time to heat before you start cooking.
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the steak and remaining stir-fry ingredients.
Sear the steak
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Prep the remaining stir-fry ingredients
- Peel and chop the yellow onion into 1-inch pieces.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper. Chop the bell pepper into 1-inch pieces.
- Cut the broccoli into 1-inch florets.
- In a medium bowl, with a whisk or fork, mix together the arrowroot powder, chicken broth, and teriyaki sauce base to form a slurry.
Cook the vegetables and finish the steak
Stir the arrowroot slurry to recombine, then add to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the steak and any accumulated juices, bring to a simmer, and cook until the steak is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes for medium.
While the stir-fry cooks, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the scallions and basil; finish the stir-fry
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal for garnish.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
- Rinse the rice.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Mix the slurry.
- Strip and tear the basil leaves.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 31g (62% DV), Fiber: 4g (16% DV), Total Fat: 25g (38% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 85mg (28% DV), Sodium: 820mg (34% DV), Carbohydrates: 63g (21% DV), Total Sugars: 17g, Added Sugars (Honey; chicken broth contains trace amounts of organic cane sugar): 13g (26% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.