Beef Bolognese with polenta
Gluten Free, Soy Free
35 - 45 Minutes
The secret to this flavorful Bolgonese is in the pancetta and milk, which add a richness to the sauce that melts into the creamy polenta.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 ounces diced pancetta
- ¾ cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Bolognese spice blend (dried oregano - nutmeg)
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup milk
- One 18-ounce tube cooked polenta
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 romaine heart
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sun Basket house dressing (olive oil - balsamic vinegar - Dijon mustard - fresh garlic)
Brown the pancetta and ground beef
- Cut a small corner from the ground beef packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Add the beef to the pot with the pancetta, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium heat, stirring to break up the meat, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the pancetta and beef to a medium bowl. Do not clean the pan.
Finish the Bolognese
Stir in the pancetta, beef, and any accumulated juices. Add the tomatoes and milk, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
While the Bolognese simmers, prepare the polenta.
Cook the polenta
- Remove the polenta from the packaging; cut the polenta into ½-inch cubes.
- Measure out ¼ cup Parmesan; set aside the rest for garnish.
While the polenta cooks, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart.
- Coarsely tear the romaine leaves.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
Chef’s Tip Bolognese sauce, also known as a ragu, dates back to at least the 14th century. It comes from Bologna, the capital city of the northern Italian region of Emilia-Romagna.
- Measure out the Parmesan.
- Tear the romaine.
- Strip and tear the parsley leaves.
- Dress the salad.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 610, Protein: 37 g, Total Fat: 34 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 20 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 9 g, Cholesterol: 115 mg, Carbohydrates: 32 g, Fiber: 1 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 910 mg