In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Beef shawarma salad with roasted potato and lemon-tahini dressing
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 510 Calories/Serving
How to replicate the big flavors of spit-roasted shawarma? Look no further than our custom shawarma spice blend—loaded with warm spices and sweet and savory aromas.
In your bag
- 1 organic russet or other white potato
- 1 organic red onion
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket shawarma spice blend (granulated garlic - cumin - sweet paprika - sumac - cinnamon - ginger - nutmeg - cloves)
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- 1 organic cucumber
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Sunbasket lemon-tahini dressing base (lemon juice - tahini - garlic - orange juice - Marash chile flakes)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Nutrition per serving
Calories 510, Total Fat 31g (40% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 70mg (23% DV), Sodium 120mg (5% DV), Total Carb. 32g (12% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 7g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 30g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and roast the potato and onion
Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Scrub or peel the potato. Cut the potato into ½-inch pieces.
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup]; set aside for the salad. Coarsely chop the remaining onion.
On a sheet pan, drizzle the potato and chopped onion with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil; season generously with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer and roast, stirring halfway through, until the potato is golden brown and crisp and the onion is softened, 20 to 25 minutes. Meanwhile, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Prep your protein
- Steak, chicken, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shrimp: Rinse and drain the shrimp. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, combine your protein, shawarma spice blend, and 1 to 2 teaspoons oil and toss to coat. Let stand while you prepare the romaine and the salad.
Prep and cook the romaine
- Keeping the root end intact, cut the romaine heart in half lengthwise. Brush the cut sides lightly with 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil.
Warm a dry large frying pan over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Place the romaine, cut sides down, and cook without turning until lightly browned on some outside leaves, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly, then coarsely chop. Wipe out the pan. Meanwhile, start preparing the remaining salad ingredients.
Make the dressing and the salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; thinly slice the cucumber.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
In a small bowl, stir together the lemon-tahini dressing base and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside for serving.
In a large bowl, toss together the sliced onion, cucumber, parsley, red wine vinegar, and 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Add the romaine and toss to combine; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook your protein
In the same pan used for the romaine, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes for regular shrimp; 4 to 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp, steak, pork, or plant-based chicken; and 6 to 8 minutes for chicken. Remove from the heat.
Transfer the salad to individual bowls and top with your protein and roasted potato and onion. Drizzle with the lemon-tahini dressing and serve.
- Scrub the potato.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Stir the lemon-tahini dressing.
- Assemble the salad.
- Drizzle the salad with the dressing.