Beet and cabbage borscht with grilled ciabatta

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Beet and cabbage borscht with grilled ciabatta

Beet and cabbage borscht with grilled ciabatta

Soy-Free, Vegetarian, <600 Calories

2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving

30 Minutes

To save on cooking time, we made our borscht with Love Beets, a tasty prepackaged brand we, well, love. This classic Eastern European soup is hearty and satisfying served hot or cold.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • ½ pound leeks
  • 1-2 garlic cloves
  • 1 carrot
  • ½ pound parsnips
  • 7 ounces savoy cabbage
  • Fresh dill
  • ½ teaspoon Hungarian paprika
  • One 8.8-ounce package roasted Love Beets
  • 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
  • 1 ciabatta roll
  • ½ cup Greek yogurt

Nutrition per serving

Calories 540, Total Fat 18g (23% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 5mg (2% DV), Sodium 650mg (28% DV), Total Carb. 82g (30% DV), Fiber 14g (50% DV), Protein 18g


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Prep the vegetables

  • Trim the root ends of the leeks, cut in half lengthwise, and then into ¼-inch-thick half- moon slices. Soak in a bowl of cold water, allowing any dirt to settle at the bottom, and then skim the leeks from the surface, leaving any grit behind.
  • Finely chop the garlic.
  • Scrub the carrot, trim the top, cut in half lengthwise and then into ¼-inch-thick diagonal slices.
  • Scrub the parsnips, trim the tops, cut in half lengthwise and then into thin half-moon slices.
  • Remove the core from the cabbage and coarsely chop the leaves.
  • Pick the dill leaves from their stems and coarsely chop the leaves. Discard the stems.


Make the borscht

In a pot over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the leeks, season with salt, and cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, parsnips, cabbage, carrots, and paprika, and stir to combine. Cover and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. While the vegetables cook, prepare the beets.
  • Remove the beets from the bag, transfer the juice to the pot with the vegetables. Cut the beets in half and then into 1/4 -inch-thick half-moon slices.
Add the beets and 2 ½ cups water to the pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook until all the vegetables are tender and beets are heated through, 8 to 10 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar and dill. While the borscht cooks, prepare the ciabatta.


Heat the ciabatta

  • Cut the ciabatta in half and drizzle each piece with olive oil.
In a dry pan over medium heat cut-side down (or in a toaster oven cut-side up) warm the ciabatta until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes.


Transfer the borscht to individual bowls. Garnish with the yogurt and serve with the toasted ciabatta on the side.