In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Beet borscht with zucchini and white bean fritters
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan
2 Servings, 410 Calories/Serving
Beet borscht is fun to say, beautiful to look at, easy to cook, and, to top it off, delicious. This vegan soup is full of nutrient-rich vegetables and plant-based protein.
In your bag
- 10 ounces beets
- 1 yellow onion (see Market Watch note)
- 1 lemon
- ¼ pound shredded carrots
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ¼ pound shredded red cabbage
- 1½ cups cooked white beans
- 1 zucchini or other summer squash
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons roasted almonds
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh dill
Calories 410, Total Fat 21g (27% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 450mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 44g (16% DV), Fiber 13g (46% DV), Total Sugars 23g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 16g
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the borscht ingredients
- Using a peeler or sharp knife, peel the beets; using the large holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the beets.
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate. Set aside the zest for the fritters. [Zest both lemons and juice 1 lemon. Save the remaining zested lemon for another use.]
Cook the borscht
Add the cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and the beets are fork-tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the borscht cooks, prepare the zucchini–white bean fritters.
Make the fritters
- Rinse the white beans.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini; using the large holes of a box grater, coarsely grate the zucchini. Using a clean kitchen towel, lightly squeeze the zucchini to remove excess moisture.
Cook the fritters
While the fritters cook, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
- Coarsely chop enough dill to measure 1 tablespoon [2 TBL]. Save any remaining dill for another use.
- Measure the onion.
- Juice the lemon.
- Rinse the white beans.
- Squeeze the zucchini in a towel.
- Mash the beans.