In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Belizean stewed chicken over coconut rice and beans
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 530 Calories/Serving
Thanks to help from our Customer Service team based in Belize, we’ve recreated their national dish: good old rice and beans with stewed chicken in a tomato-ginger sauce.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket Belizean marinade (achiote paste - orange juice - lime juice)
- ½ cup basmati rice
- ½ cup cooked kidney beans
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sunbasket ginger-tomato blend (tomatoes - fish sauce - tomato paste - ginger - coconut sugar)
Calories 530, Total Fat 18g (23% DV), Sat. Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 900mg (39% DV), Total Carb. 62g (23% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 1g Added Sugars, 2% DV), Protein 30g
Contains: Fish (anchovy), Tree Nuts (coconut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Marinate the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and Belizean marinade and toss to coat. Let stand while you start cooking the rice and beans.
Cook the rice and beans
- Rinse the rice.
- Rinse the kidney beans.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice, coconut milk, and ¾ cup [1 cup] water and season lightly with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is almost tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the beans, cover, and cook until the beans are heated through, the rice is tender, and the liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. While the rice and beans are cooking, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the vegetables; brown the chicken
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into 1-inch pieces.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting the excess drip back into the bowl. Add the chicken to the pan and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
Prep the garnish; finish the stewed chicken
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
In the same pan used for the chicken, if dry, add 1 to 2 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until the vegetables start to soften and caramelize, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the ginger-tomato blend and ½ cup [1 cup] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, nestling the chicken among the vegetables. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season the pan sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice and beans to individual bowls. Top with the chicken, vegetables, and pan sauce, garnish with the cilantro, and serve.
- Rinse the rice and beans.
- Combine the rice, coconut milk, and water.
- Measure the onion.
- Measure the water for the stew.
- Garnish with the cilantro.