In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Biryani-style tofu fried rice with ginger chutney
Dairy-Free, Vegan, Spicy, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 620 Calories/Serving
Our quick version of this Indian dish features fluffy rice tossed with roasted red peppers, green peas, and your choice of protein, plus a floral and spicy ginger chutney.
In your bag
- 10 ounces Hodo organic firm tofu
- ¾ cup basmati rice
- Sunbasket biryani spice blend (turmeric - cardamom - coriander - cumin - garam masala - Aleppo chile flakes - nutmeg)
- ¼ pound roasted red peppers
- ⅓ cup organic peas
- 3 organic scallions
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sunbasket ginger chutney base (orange juice - lemon juice - ginger - coriander - cayenne)
- 2 tablespoons fried shallots
Calories 620, Total Fat 22g (28% DV), Sat. Fat 2g (10% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 170mg (7% DV), Total Carb. 76g (28% DV), Fiber 12g (43% DV), Total Sugars 6g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 29g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, stir together the rice, biryani spice blend, and 1¼ cups [2¼ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the rice is slightly dry, 3 to 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. While the rice is cooking, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the peppers and your protein
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; coarsely chop any large pieces.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes.
- Chicken, steak, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
Cook your protein and vegetables
In a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes for shrimp or scallops, 2 to 4 minutes for steak or pork, and 3 to 5 minutes for tofu, chicken, or plant-based chicken. Stir in the roasted red peppers and peas and cook until the vegetables are heated through and your protein is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. While your protein and vegetables are cooking, prepare the chutney.
Make the ginger chutney
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
In a small bowl, stir together the scallions, cilantro, ginger chutney base, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Finish the fried rice
To the pan with your protein and vegetables, stir in the rice and as much ginger chutney as you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper and more chutney, if desired.
Transfer the fried rice to individual bowls, garnish with the fried shallots, and serve any remaining chutney on the side.
- Rinse the rice.
- Combine the rice, spice blend, and water.
- Time the rice.
- Garnish with the fried shallots.