In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Black bean burgers with tortilla chips and kiwi pico de gallo
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Vegan
2 Servings, 720 Calories/Serving
These plant-based burgers are in a class of their own. They’re savory, filling, and loaded with good-for-you ingredients like earthy black beans and our vegan red pepper–cashew crema.
In your bag
- Sunbasket red pepper–cashew crema (roasted red peppers - cashew butter - garlic - lemon juice - kosher salt)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 organic red onion
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1 organic kiwi
- 1 organic Roma or other tomato
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 2 vegan whole wheat buns
- Tortilla chips
Calories 720, Total Fat 28g (36% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 640mg (28% DV), Total Carb. 105g (38% DV), Fiber 17g (61% DV), Total Sugars 13g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 20g
Contains: Tree Nuts (cashew), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Make the patties
- Measure 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] red pepper–cashew crema for the patties; set aside the rest for serving.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Measure ¼ cup [½ cup] onion for the patties; set aside the rest for the salsa.
In a large bowl, stir together the cornmeal, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] red pepper–cashew crema, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water. Stir in the beans and ¼ cup [½ cup] onion and season generously with salt and pepper. Using a fork, masher, or the bottom of a bowl, mash the bean mixture to a coarse paste. Using wet hands, form the mixture into two [four] ½-inch-thick patties. Transfer to a plate and refrigerate while you prepare the kiwi pico de gallo and the buns.
Make the kiwi pico de gallo
- Peel and coarsely chop the kiwi.
- Cut away the core from the tomato; cut the tomato crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Set aside a few slices for the burgers; coarsely chop the remaining slices.
- Juice the lime. [Juice 1 lime; save the remaining lime for another use.]
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
In a medium bowl, stir together the kiwi, chopped tomato, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lime juice, cilantro, 1 to 2 teaspoons oil, and as much of the remaining onion as you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toast the buns
- Brush the cut sides of the buns lightly with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil.
In a large frying pan, place the buns, cut sides down, and cook over medium-high heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
Cook the patties
In the same pan used for the buns, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until browned and heated through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from the heat.
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on individual plates. Top each with a burger, as much of the remaining red pepper–cashew crema as you like, and 1 or 2 tomato slices. Close with the bun tops. Serve the tortilla chips and kiwi pico de gallo on the side.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Measure the onion.
- Mash the bean mixture.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir the pico de gallo.