In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sweet potato–black bean chili cheese fries
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 630 Calories/Serving
These reimagined chili cheese fries are vegetarian, gluten-free, and family-friendly as oven-roasted sweet potatoes sub for traditional deep-fried spuds.
In your bag
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 1¾ pounds)
- 2 or 3 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 chipotle chile in gluten-free adobo (optional)
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - granulated garlic)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 lime
- ½ pound jicama
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Protein: 22g (44% DV), Fiber: 18g (72% DV), Total Fat: 27g (42% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 8g (40% DV), Cholesterol: 30mg (10% DV), Sodium: 400mg (17% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 76g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 15g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Prep and roast the sweet potato fries
- Scrub or peel the sweet potatoes. Trim the ends and cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into ½-inch-wide wedges.
While the sweet potatoes roast, prepare the chili.
Cook the chili
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- If using, finely chop the chipotle chile.
- Rinse the black beans.
Add the black beans, tomatoes, and ⅓ cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
While the chili simmers, prepare the lime yogurt and jicama sticks.
Make the lime yogurt; prep the jicama sticks
- Juice the lime; the juice will be divided between the yogurt and the jicama sticks.
- Using a sharp knife or a peeler, remove the peel from the jicama; cut the white flesh into ½-inch-thick sticks.
In a medium bowl, combine the jicama sticks, remaining lime juice, and 1 teaspoon oil and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the fries
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Trim the root ends from 2 scallions; thinly slice the scallions for garnish; save the remaining scallion for another use.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Rinse the black beans.
- Juice the lime.
- Toss the jicama sticks with the lime juice.
- Stir the cilantro into the chili.