In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Sweet potato–black bean chili cheese fries
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Soy-Free
4 Servings, 630 Calories/Serving
These reimagined chili cheese fries are vegetarian, gluten-free, and family-friendly as oven-roasted sweet potatoes sub for traditional deep-fried spuds.
In your bag
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 1¾ pounds)
- 2 or 3 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 chipotle chile in gluten-free adobo (optional)
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - granulated garlic)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 lime
- ½ pound jicama
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
When zesting citrus, try to remove only the outermost colored portion of the rind, or zest, and as little of the white pith beneath as possible. The zest holds all the fragrant essential oils, while the pith tastes bitter.
Protein: 22g (44% DV), Fiber: 18g (72% DV), Total Fat: 27g (42% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 8g (40% DV), Cholesterol: 30mg (10% DV), Sodium: 400mg (17% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 76g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 15g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Wash produce before use
Prep and roast the sweet potato fries
- Scrub or peel the sweet potatoes. Trim the ends and cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half lengthwise into ½-inch-wide wedges.
While the sweet potatoes roast, prepare the chili.
Cook the chili
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- If using, finely chop the chipotle chile.
- Rinse the black beans.
Add the black beans, tomatoes, and ⅓ cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
While the chili simmers, prepare the lime yogurt and jicama sticks.
Make the lime yogurt; prep the jicama sticks
- Juice the lime; the juice will be divided between the yogurt and the jicama sticks.
- Using a sharp knife or a peeler, remove the peel from the jicama; cut the white flesh into ½-inch-thick sticks.
In a medium bowl, combine the jicama sticks, remaining lime juice, and 1 teaspoon oil and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the fries
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Trim the root ends from 2 scallions; thinly slice the scallions for garnish; save the remaining scallion for another use.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Rinse the black beans.
- Juice the lime.
- Toss the jicama sticks with the lime juice.
- Stir the cilantro into the chili.