Black bean-quinoa burgers with sweet potato fries
35 - 45 Minutes
It’s not easy to make an awesome vegetarian burger, but the Sun Basket kitchen team nailed it with this one. Quinoa and black beans are a protein dream squad, while our special spice blend ensures that these patties are never bland. Be sure to get your pan nice and hot to give the patties a good sear because everyone loves a crisp-edged burger.
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- Burger spice blend (granulated garlic - cumin - coriander)
- 1 pound peeled sweet potato wedges
- ½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika (optional)
- 1½ cups cooked black beans
- 1 or 2 carrots
- 2 scallions
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ½ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 5 ounces roasted red peppers
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Sun Basket creamy Parmesan sauce (mayonnaise - Parmesan - Dijon mustard - salt - black pepper)
Cook the quinoa
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa.
Roast the sweet potatoes
Prep the burgers
- Rinse the black beans.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the ends; grate or finely chop the carrots.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; finely chop the scallions.
Cook the burgers
Prep the garnishes; toast the buns
- Trim the root end from the lettuce; tear the leaves into burger-size pieces.
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted peppers; thinly slice the peppers.
Chef’s Tip: Before searing the burgers, first test the seasoning of the patty mixture by cooking 1 tablespoon or so in a small frying pan over medium-high heat on the stove top. If the cheese isn’t melting on the patties, cover the pan for 30 seconds.
- Rinse the quinoa.
- Rinse and smash the black beans.
- Scrub and grate the carrots.
- Tear the lettuce.
- Assemble the burgers.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 670, Protein: 24 g, Total Fat: 31 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 10 g, Cholesterol: 115 mg. Carbohydrates: 76 g, Fiber: 12 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 680 mg
Contains: milk, soy, wheat, eggs