Black bean tostadas with quick pickles and soft-cooked eggs
Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Soy Free
2 Servings, 620 Calories/Serving, 30 - 40 Minutes
Tostadas are like open-faced tacos, with the fillings piled atop crisp, flat tortillas instead of wrapped into softened ones. Here, paprika-spiced black beans and roast squash lend earthiness, while quick-pickled red onions and radishes provide tartness and crunch. To save time and cleanup, the tortillas are roasted on the same sheet pan as the squash. But if you prefer to crisp them up in a small frying pan over medium heat with a splash of oil instead, by all means.
- 1 red onion
- 2 to 3 red radishes
- Quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - sugar - salt)
- 4 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- ½ pound chopped peeled butternut squash
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- Black bean seasoning blend (granulated garlic - coriander - sweet smoked paprika)
- 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 ounces queso fresco
Pickle the red onion and radish
- Peel and halve the onion. Coarsely chop half for the beans; thinly slice half for pickling.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; cut the radishes in half, then thinly slice crosswise.
Cook the tortillas and squash
Roast in the oven, turning halfway through, until the tortillas are crisp and the squash is tender, 12 to 15 minutes for the tortillas and 15 to 20 minutes for the squash. Transfer the tortillas to a plate while the squash finishes cooking. Meanwhile, cook the eggs.
Cook the eggs
While the eggs cook, start the beans.
Cook the black beans
- Rinse the black beans.
While the beans cook, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Cut the eggs in half.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 620, Protein: 19 g, Total Fat: 29 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 18.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 175 mg, Carbohydrates: 73 g, Fiber: 14 g, Added Sugar (Granulated Sugar): 6 g, Sodium: 540 mg
Contains: milk, eggs