Black bean tostadas with quick pickles and soft-cooked eggs
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soy Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Tostadas are like open-faced tacos, with the fillings piled atop crisp flat tortillas instead of wrapped into soft ones. Here, paprika-spiced black beans and roasted butternut squash lend earthiness, while quick-pickled red onions and radishes bring tartness and crunch.
- 1 red onion
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- Quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - sugar - salt)
- 12 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- 1 pound chopped peeled butternut squash
- 4 pasture-raised organic eggs
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- Black bean spice blend (granulated garlic - coriander - sweet smoked paprika)
- 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro
- ¼ pound queso fresco
Pickle the red onion and radish
- Peel and halve the red onion. Coarsely chop half for the black beans; thinly slice half for pickling.
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
Roast the tortillas and squash
While the tortillas and squash roast, prepare the eggs.
Cook the eggs
While the eggs cook, prepare the black beans.
Cook the black beans
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Rinse the black beans.
While the beans cook, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Cut the eggs lengthwise into quarters.
Chef’s tip If you prefer to crisp your tortillas in a large frying pan with a splash of oil over medium heat instead of roasting them in the oven, by all means, go for it.
- Oil the tortillas and butternut squash.
- Time and peel the eggs.
- Rinse the beans.
- Set out the tostada toppings.
- Help clean up.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 560, Protein: 20g, Total Fat: 20g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 160mg, Carbohydrates: 77g, Fiber: 16g, Sugar: 11g, Added Sugars (Quick-pickle brine): 2g, Sodium: 510mg
Contains: milk, eggs.