In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Black-eyed pea fritters with arugula and spicy chile-mango sauce
Mediterranean, Spicy, Dairy-Free, Lean & Clean, Vegan
2 Servings, 410 Calories/Serving
Full of texture and flavor, these black-eyed pea fritters are deliciously easy, plant-based stars. Serve them over a bed of lemony arugula and you’ve got dinner, done.
In your bag
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 organic lemon
- 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
- Sun Basket spicy chile-mango blend (mango - gochujang)
Calories: 410, Protein: 13g (26% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 22g (34% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 0g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g, Saturated Fat: 8g (40% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 410mg (17% DV), Carbohydrates: 51g (17% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut), Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the fritter ingredients
- Rinse the black-eyed peas.
- Finely chop, press, or grate the garlic.
- Peel and finely chop the shallots.
- Set aside half the sesame seeds for the fritter mixture; spread the remaining sesame seeds on a plate.
Make the fritter patties (see Chef’s Tip)
In a large bowl, add the black-eyed peas and season generously with salt and pepper. Using a fork, masher, or the bottom of a bowl, mash the peas to a coarse paste. Add the garlic, shallots, oats, cumin, and half the sesame seeds and mash roughly to combine. Using wet hands, form the mixture into six [twelve] ½-inch-thick patties. Gently press both sides of the patties into the remaining sesame seeds to lightly coat.
Cook the fritters
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the coconut oil and 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the fritters and cook, carefully turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Add more olive oil between batches if needed. While the fritters are cooking, prepare the arugula.
Dress the arugula
- Juice half the lemon; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Save the remaining lemon.]
In a large bowl, toss together the arugula, 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the arugula to individual plates and top with the fritters. Serve the spicy chile-mango blend and lemon wedges on the side.
- Rinse the black-eyed peas.
- Mash the black-eyed peas and form the patties.
- Press the patties in the sesame seeds.
- Juice the lemon.
- Dress the arugula.