Black-eyed pea fritters with arugula and spicy chile-mango sauce

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Black-eyed pea fritters with arugula and spicy chile-mango sauce

Black-eyed pea fritters with arugula and spicy chile-mango sauce

Dairy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Vegan, Spicy, <600 Calories

2 Servings, 410 Calories/Serving

20–35 Minutes

There’s more to this dish than meets the eye! For earthy flavor and texture, we make these black-eyed pea fritters with garlic, cumin, and crunchy sesame seeds, then serve a deliciously spicy chile-mango sauce for dipping.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
  • 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
  • 1 organic red onion
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
  • ¼ cup gluten-free old-fashioned oats
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 organic lemon
  • 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
  • Sunbasket spicy chile-mango blend (mango - gochujang)

Nutrition per serving

Calories 410, Total Fat 23g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 10g (50% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 450mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 52g (19% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 1g Added Sugars, 2% DV), Protein 13g
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut), Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Prep the fritter ingredients

  • Rinse the black-eyed peas.
  • Finely chop, press, or grate the garlic. 
  • Peel and finely chop enough onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
  • Set aside half the sesame seeds for the fritter mixture; spread the remaining sesame seeds on a plate.


Make the fritter patties

In a large bowl, add the black-eyed peas and season generously with salt and pepper. Using a fork, masher, or the bottom of a bowl, mash the peas to a chunky paste. Add the garlic, onion, oats, cumin, and half the sesame seeds and mash roughly to combine. Using wet hands, form the mixture into six [twelve] ½-inch-thick patties. Gently press both sides of the patties into the remaining sesame seeds to lightly coat.


Cook the fritters

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the coconut oil and 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the fritters and cook, carefully turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Add more olive oil between batches if needed. While the fritters are cooking, prepare the arugula.


Dress the arugula

  • Juice half the lemon; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Save the remaining lemon for another use.]

In a large bowl, toss together the arugula, 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Transfer the arugula to individual plates and top with the fritters. Serve the spicy chile-mango blend and lemon wedges on the side.

Kids Can!
  • Rinse the black-eyed peas.
  • Mash the black-eyed peas and form the patties. 
  • Press the patties in the sesame seeds. 
  • Juice the lemon. 
  • Dress the arugula.