In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Black-eyed pea pitas with crunchy salad and red pepper baba ganoush
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Vegan, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 430 Calories/Serving
Best thing about these pita breads? They have pockets, which means room for tasty ingredients like crisped black-eyed peas, crunchy cabbage, hearty kale, and smoky baba ganoush.
In your bag
- 3 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 ounces organic shredded Savoy or other cabbage
- 2 ounces organic shredded red or other cabbage
- 2 ounces organic shredded kale or other leafy greens
- 1 cup cooked black-eyed peas
- 2 Atoria’s Family Bakery whole grain pita breads
- Sunbasket red pepper baba ganoush (eggplant - roasted red peppers - extra virgin olive oil - sherry vinegar - garlic - kosher salt - sweet smoked paprika - black pepper)
Calories 430, Total Fat 23g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 960mg (42% DV), Total Carb. 53g (19% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 7g (Incl. 1g Added Sugars, 2% DV), Protein 13g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the crunchy salad
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Juice half the lemon; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lemon; cut the remaining lemon into wedges.]
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
In a medium bowl, toss together the Savoy cabbage, red cabbage, kale, tomatoes, parsley, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook the black-eyed peas
- Rinse the black-eyed peas.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the black-eyed peas and cook, stirring once or twice, until starting to crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, start warming the pita breads.
Toast and assemble the pitas
On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, warm the pita breads, turning once, until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds per side. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven. Cut in half.
Spread the red pepper baba ganoush inside each pita half and fill with the black-eyed peas and as much crunchy salad as you like.
Transfer the pitas to individual plates and serve the lemon wedges and any remaining salad on the side.
- Juice the lemon; measure the juice.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Assemble the crunchy salad.
- Rinse the black-eyed peas.
- Help assemble the pitas.