Black lentil and eggplant bowls with plum relish
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
We think of lentils as vegetarian caviar. Here we give them the royal treatment, with paprika-spiced eggplant and a tangy-sweet plum relish.
- ¾ cup black lentils
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 globe eggplant
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 plums
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons roasted hazelnuts
- 1 or 2 celery ribs
- 1 lemon
- 2 ounces baby arugula
Cooking lentils at a gentle simmer helps maintain their caviar-like shape and texture; too-high heat can cause them to break down.
Make it Leaner: Use only half the hazelnuts and you’ll shave off 45 calories and 4.5 grams of fat per serving. To save another 45 calories and 4.5 grams of fat, omit the oil in the relish. Adding a squeeze of lemon juice to the relish instead will brighten the flavor without increasing the calories.
Cook the lentils
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the lentils.
While the lentils simmer, prepare the onion and eggplant.
Prep and cook the onion and eggplant
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Remove the stem from the eggplant and cut in half lengthwise. Cut each half into ½-inch-wide strips, then crosswise into ½-inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, toss the eggplant with the paprika and season with salt and pepper. Let stand while you cook the onion.
In the same pan, if dry, add 1 teaspoon oil and warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the eggplant (do not clean the bowl). Cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a separate plate.
While the onion and eggplant cook, prepare the plum relish and the garnishes.
Make the plum relish
- Cut the plums in half and remove the pits; coarsely chop the plums.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts.
- Trim the ends from the celery. Thinly slice the celery on the diagonal.
- Cut the lemon into wedges.
Finish the lentils
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 26g (52% DV), Fiber: 22g (88% DV), Total Fat: 17g (26% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g (8% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 290mg (12% DV), Carbohydrates: 74g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 16g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.