In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Black lentil and eggplant bowls with plum relish
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Lean & Clean, Vegetarian
2 Servings, 530 Calories/Serving
We think of lentils as vegetarian caviar. Here we give them the royal treatment, with paprika-spiced eggplant and a tangy-sweet plum relish.
In your bag
- ¾ cup black lentils
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 globe eggplant
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 plums
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons roasted hazelnuts
- 1 or 2 celery ribs
- 1 lemon
- 2 ounces baby arugula
Protein: 26g (52% DV), Fiber: 22g (88% DV), Total Fat: 17g (26% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g (8% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 290mg (12% DV), Carbohydrates: 74g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 16g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Wash produce before use
Cook the lentils
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the lentils.
While the lentils simmer, prepare the onion and eggplant.
Prep and cook the onion and eggplant
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Remove the stem from the eggplant and cut in half lengthwise. Cut each half into ½-inch-wide strips, then crosswise into ½-inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, toss the eggplant with the paprika and season with salt and pepper. Let stand while you cook the onion.
In the same pan, if dry, add 1 teaspoon oil and warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the eggplant (do not clean the bowl). Cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a separate plate.
While the onion and eggplant cook, prepare the plum relish and the garnishes.
Make the plum relish
- Cut the plums in half and remove the pits; coarsely chop the plums.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts.
- Trim the ends from the celery. Thinly slice the celery on the diagonal.
- Cut the lemon into wedges.
Finish the lentils