Black lentil, orange, and kale salad with pomegranate-glazed eggplant
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soy Free
35 – 45 Minutes
Our nutritionist, Kaley Todd, loves the North African flavor and many anthocyanins in this rich vegetarian main course. The eggplant, pomegranates, and black lentils are all rich in them. Also known as phytonutrients, they behave like antioxidants, protecting against cancer and heart disease and promoting brain health. Black lentils are also loaded with protein and fiber, a powerful nutrient combo that helps keeps you feeling both sated and energized.
- ¾ cup black lentils
- 1 globe eggplant
- Pomegranate glaze (harissa powder - olive oil - pomegranate molasses - fresh garlic)
- 1 lemon
- Pomegranate vinaigrette base (balsamic vinegar - pomegranate molasses)
- 1 Cara Cara orange
- Fresh mint
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 ounces baby kale
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
Cook the lentils
- Rinse the lentils.
While the lentils simmer, prepare the eggplants.
Bake the eggplant
- Trim the ends from the eggplant; cut the eggplant in half lengthwise. Using a knife, lightly score the flesh with diagonal lines about 1 inch apart.
While the eggplant bakes, make the vinaigrette and the lentil salad.
Prep the vinaigrette
- Juice the lemon.
Assemble the lentil salad
- Using your hands or a sharp knife, peel the orange; cut the fruit in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons. Discard any seeds.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 740, Protein: 32 g, Total Fat: 27 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 17 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 3.5 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Carbohydrates: 96 g, Fiber: 29 g, Added Sugar (Pomegranate Molasses): 7 g, Sodium: 280 mg