In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Open-faced lentil sloppy joes on whole wheat buns with coleslaw
Dairy-Free, Vegan, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 660 Calories/Serving
Our speedy sloppy joes were made for busy weeknights. The lentils are already cooked, the coleslaw dressing is made, and our hearty sauce just needs a swift simmer.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- Sunbasket quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - maple syrup)
- 2 vegan whole wheat buns
- 1½ cups cooked black lentils
- 3 tablespoons diced mild green chiles
- Sunbasket sloppy joe sauce base (tomatoes - tomato paste - vegan Worcestershire - granulated garlic - chili powder - cumin - coriander)
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about ½ pound)
- Sunbasket coleslaw dressing base (onion - red wine vinegar - garlic)
- 2 ounces organic shredded carrots
Calories 660, Total Fat 19g (24% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 930mg (40% DV), Total Carb. 99g (36% DV), Fiber 32g (114% DV), Total Sugars 17g (Incl. 7g Added Sugars, 14% DV), Protein 27g
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Quick-pickle the onion
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups]. Finely chop enough of the remaining onion to measure 2 tablespoons [¼ cup]; set aside for the sloppy joe filling.
In a small sauce pot, bring the quick-pickle brine and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the thinly sliced onion, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Toast the buns
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Place the buns, cut sides down, and cook until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
Make the sloppy joe filling
- Rinse the lentils.
In the same pan used for the buns, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the finely chopped onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, 2 to 4 minutes.
Add the lentils, green chiles, sloppy joe sauce base, 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] water, and up to 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] brown sugar (from your pantry), if using. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are heated through and the sauce is thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
If you prefer a saucier filling, stir in more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to reach the desired consistency. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the sloppy joe filling is cooking, prepare the coleslaw.
Make the coleslaw
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the pickled onion from the brine.
In a large bowl, stir or whisk together the coleslaw dressing base and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the cabbage, pickled onion, and carrots and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place the bun tops and bottoms, cut sides up, on individual plates. Top with the sloppy joe filling and some of the coleslaw to make open-faced sandwiches. Serve the remaining coleslaw on the side.
- Combine the quick-pickle brine and water.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Remove the pickled onion from the brine.
- Stir the coleslaw dressing.
- Assemble the coleslaw.