In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Black-pepper tofu with coconut forbidden rice
2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving
Don’t be put off by the quantity of black peppercorns here—their flavor and heat are the key to this pungent and deeply spiced dish. In fact, we’ve scaled way back; traditional recipes call for as much as ½ cup. To temper the heat, the stir-fry is cooked with a little butter (use more or less depending on how rich you like it). Fragrant black rice simmered in coconut milk also helps soften the peppery bite.
In your bag
- ¾ cup Lotus Foods Forbidden black rice
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¾ pound Hodo Soy firm tofu
- 1 to 2 shallots
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 scallions
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Stir-fry sauce (tamari - hoisin - mirin)
- 5 ounces baby spinach
Calories 690, Total Fat 26g (33% DV), Sat. Fat 9g (45% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 15mg (5% DV), Sodium 630mg (27% DV), Total Carb. 91g (33% DV), Fiber 12g (43% DV), Protein 29g
Contains: Milk, Soybeans
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
Prep the stir-fry ingredients
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Finely chop enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- Peel the ginger and cut into thin strips.
- On a cutting board, using the bottom of a bowl, pan, or rolling pin, crush the black peppercorns. Transfer to a small dish.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions: cut the scallions into 2-inch lengths.
Brown the tofu
Finish the stir-fry