In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Black rice donburi bowl with seared albacore
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 530 Calories/Serving
In these stunning rice bowls, chewy black rice adds texture and color; cilantro and nori deliver detoxifying properties; and our nutty sesame dressing ties everything together.
In your bag
- ½ cup black rice
- 1 organic sweet potato
- 2 or 3 organic radishes (about 2 ounces total)
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1 organic jalapeño or other fresh chile (optional)
- Sunbasket sesame dressing base (coconut aminos - coconut vinegar - toasted sesame oil)
- Seafood options:
- 2 wild albacore tuna steaks (about 5 ounces each)
- 10 ounces wild sea scallops
- Nori strips (for garnish)
Calories 530, Total Fat 14g (18% DV), Sat. Fat 1g (5% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 30mg (10% DV), Sodium 270mg (12% DV), Total Carb. 72g (26% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 30g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
Heat the oven to 400°F.
In a small sauce pot, combine the black rice and 1 cup [1½ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the sweet potato.
Prep and roast the sweet potato
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Cut the potato into ½-inch pieces.
On a sheet pan, drizzle the sweet potato with 2 to 3 teaspoons oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer and roast, turning once halfway through, until the potato is tender and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the radishes, cilantro, and sesame dressing
- Cut the radishes into quarters.
- Zest and juice the lime, keeping the zest and juice separate (the juice will be divided between the radishes and the sesame dressing).
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
- If using the jalapeño, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; finely chop the jalapeño. Wash your hands after handling.
In a small bowl, stir together the radishes, lime zest, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In another small bowl, stir together the sesame dressing base, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lime juice, and as much jalapeño as you like. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prep and cook the seafood
- Pat the tuna dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the tuna and cook, turning once, until lightly browned, about 1 minute per side for rare, 2 to 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly. Cut the tuna into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Rinse and drain the scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt.
In a large frying pan over high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the scallops and cook without turning until golden brown on one side and starting to turn opaque, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn and continue cooking for about 30 seconds for translucent or 1 to 2 minutes for opaque. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly. Cut the scallops in half.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and drizzle with the sesame dressing. Top with the sweet potato and seafood and garnish with the radishes, cilantro, and nori strips. Alternatively, arrange the ingredients in separate piles atop the rice and serve.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Drizzle the sweet potato with oil and season.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir the radishes.
- Garnish the bowls.