In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Blackened sole with pickled carrots and sweet mini peppers
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, Spicy
2 Servings, 410 Calories/Serving
Get in the island frame of mind with this Caribbean-inspired dish featuring pan-fried blackened sole and a tangy medley of pickled vegetables.
In your bag
- ¼ pound organic sweet mini peppers
- 1 organic serrano or other fresh chile (optional)
- Sunbasket quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - honey)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 ounces organic shredded carrots
- 1 organic red onion
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Fish options:
- 2 wild skinless sole fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 wild skin-on snapper fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 sustainably raised skin-on barramundi fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket blackening spice blend (granulated garlic - sweet paprika - onion powder - dried thyme - dried oregano)
Calories 410, Total Fat 20g (26% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 80mg (27% DV), Sodium 580mg (25% DV), Total Carb. 38g (14% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 17g (Incl. 9g Added Sugars, 18% DV), Protein 27g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Pickle the vegetables
- Remove the stems and seeds from the sweet mini peppers; cut the peppers crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rings.
- If using the serrano chile, remove the stem and cut the chile in half lengthwise. Wash your hands after handling.
In a medium sauce pot, combine the quick-pickle brine, thyme, 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] water, and serrano chile, if using, and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the sweet mini peppers and carrots, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep and caramelize the onion
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes.
From the pot with the vegetables, measure 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] pickling liquid and add to the pan with the onion. Continue cooking the onion, stirring frequently, until the liquid is almost evaporated, about 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm. While the onion is cooking, start preparing the fish.
Prep the garnish; prep and cook the fish
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems for garnish.
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper and the blackening spice blend.
In another large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking.
Add the fish and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the fish and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes.
Add the fish, skin side down, and cook until the skin is crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes.
Add the fish, skin side down, and cook until the skin is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes.
Remove the fish from the heat.
Transfer the caramelized onion to individual plates and top with the fish. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pickled vegetables from the brine, discarding the serrano, and top the fish with the vegetables. Garnish with the cilantro and serve.
- Measure the water for the pickled vegetables.
- Time the cooking.
- Strip the cilantro leaves.
- Garnish with the cilantro.