In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Blackened tempeh over Cajun rice and greens
Vegan, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 760 Calories/Serving
In this plant-based meal, we give the Cajun-style “blackening” treatment to tempeh. To complete the bayou effect, we serve it with spiced rice and garlicky greens, plus our red pepper vinaigrette.
In your bag
- ½ pound organic flax tempeh
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup basmati rice
- Sun Basket San Francisco Bay seasoning (celery seeds - sweet paprika - black pepper - ground mustard)
- 4 sprigs organic fresh thyme
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 organic lemon
- Sun Basket blackening spice blend (granulated garlic - sweet paprika - onion powder - dried thyme - dried oregano)
- 5 ounces organic braising greens or other leafy greens
- Sun Basket red pepper vinaigrette (roasted red peppers - EVOO - red wine vinegar - Dijon mustard - kosher salt)
Calories: 760, Protein: 27g (54% DV), Fiber: 17g (68% DV), Total Fat: 43g (66% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 27g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 340mg (14% DV), Carbohydrates: 67g (22% DV), Total Sugars: 2g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the tempeh
- Cut the tempeh into 1-inch cubes.
- Set aside half the apple cider vinegar for the greens.
While the tempeh cooks, prepare the rice.
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Finish the tempeh
- Strip the leaves from 2  thyme sprigs; set aside the leaves for garnish and the remaining 2  sprigs for the tempeh.
- Finely chop, press, or grate the garlic. Set aside half for the greens.
- Juice half the lemon; cut half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lemon; cut 1 lemon into wedges.]
Cook the braising greens
- Rinse the rice.
- Strip the thyme leaves.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Juice the lemon.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette.