Bow tie pasta salad with black beans, fresh corn, and queso fresco

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Bow tie pasta salad with black beans, fresh corn, and queso fresco

Bow tie pasta salad with black beans, fresh corn, and queso fresco

Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Vegetarian, <600 Calories

2 Servings, 490 Calories/Serving

20–35 Minutes

No picnic is complete without a big bite of pasta salad. Here, whole wheat bow tie noodles bring nutty flavor, juicy cherry tomatoes add umami, and sweet corn stars as the veg of the season.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 5 ounces whole wheat bow tie pasta
  • 1 ear organic corn
  • 1 organic poblano (optional)
  • ½ cup cooked black beans
  • 6 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
  • 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
  • Sunbasket red pepper vinaigrette (extra virgin olive oil - roasted red peppers - red wine vinegar - Dijon mustard - kosher salt)
  • 1 ounce queso fresco

Nutrition per serving

Calories 490, Total Fat 17g (22% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 10mg (3% DV), Sodium 450mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 71g (26% DV), Fiber 13g (46% DV), Total Sugars 7g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 18g
Contains: Milk, Wheat

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Cook the bow tie pasta

Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the bow tie pasta and cook until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and set aside. While the water is heating and the pasta is cooking, prepare the corn and poblano. 


Prep and cook the corn and poblano (if using)

  • Shuck the corn. Lay the ear flat on a cutting board. Cut lengthwise down one side to remove the kernels, then rotate the ear so the shaved side is on the bottom; continue cutting away the kernels on the remaining sides.
  • If using the poblano, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; cut the poblano into ¼-inch pieces. Wash your hands after handling.

In a dry large frying pan over medium-high heat, add the corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Do not clean the plan.

If using the poblano, in the same pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the poblano, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. While the corn and poblano are cooking, start preparing the remaining ingredients.


Prep the remaining ingredients

  • Rinse the black beans.
  • Cut the tomatoes in half. 
  • Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.


Assemble the salad

To the bowl with the corn, add the pasta, beans, tomatoes, half the cilantro, and as much poblano and red pepper vinaigrette as you like (set aside any remaining vinaigrette for serving). Toss together and season to taste with salt and pepper.


Transfer the pasta salad to individual bowls. Crumble the queso fresco on top and garnish with the remaining cilantro. Serve any remaining vinaigrette on the side. 

Kids Can!
  • Time the pasta.
  • Shuck the corn.
  • Rinse the black beans.
  • Divide the cilantro in half.
  • Crumble the queso fresco.