Bowtie pasta salad with black beans, corn, and red pepper vinaigrette
20 – 30 Minutes
Our house-made red pepper vinaigrette pairs perfectly with whole wheat pasta, charred corn, and cherry tomatoes in this easy vegetarian meal.
- 5 ounces whole wheat bowtie pasta
- 1 ear corn
- ½ cup cooked black beans
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 3 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 poblano (optional)
- 2 ounces queso fresco
- Sun Basket red pepper vinaigrette (roasted red bell peppers - olive oil - almonds - red wine vinegar - Dijon mustard - coconut sugar - salt - black pepper)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
Bow tie pasta is known as farfalle in Italian; according to pasta manufacturer Barilla, the shape dates back to the 1500s and originated from northern Italy. But the Italians don’t consider it to be shaped like a bowtie: farfalle means “butterflies.”
Cook the pasta
While the water heats and the bowtie pasta cooks, prepare the corn.
Prep and char the corn
- Shuck the corn. Lay the cob flat and cut the kernels from the cob.
While the corn cooks, prepare the remaining salad ingredients.
Prep the remaining salad ingredients
- Rinse the black beans.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure 2 tablespoons.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Juice half the lime; save the rest for another use.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; divide into two equal portions, one for the salad and one for garnish.
- If using, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the poblano; cut the poblano lengthwise into thin strips, then coarsely chop crosswise. Wash your hands after handling.
Assemble the salad
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 22g (44% DV), Fiber: 13g (52% DV), Total Fat: 33g (51% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 20mg (7% DV), Sodium: 830mg (35% DV), Carbohydrates: 79g (26% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 1g (2% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: tree nuts, milk, wheat