Braised chicken and artichokes
Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
25 - 35 Minutes
Sun Basket and Williams Sonoma dive into spring with this easy one-pot chicken dinner. A French-inflected blend of fresh herbs and lemon brighten the tender chicken thighs and artichoke hearts. The artichokes have been cooked and quartered for you, so the dish is ready in the time it takes to sear and simmer the chicken.
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 or 2 shallots
- Fresh basil
- Fresh tarragon
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 7 ounces cooked quartered artichoke hearts
Prep the ingredients
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Strip the tarragon leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Juice half the lemon; cut half into wedges for garnish.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, spread the flour.
In a medium sauce pot over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. In batches, if needed, add the chicken and cook until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Cook the vegetables
Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, and ½ cup water and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Finish the chicken
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 560, Protein: 35 g, Total Fat: 34 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 22 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5 g, Saturated Fat: 4.5 g, Cholesterol: 115 mg, Carbohydrates: 25 g, Fiber: 7 g, Added Sugar (Chicken Broth contains trace amounts of granulated sugar): 0 g, Sodium: 900 mg