In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken arrabbiata with creamy celery-root mash
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
Arrabbiata means “angry” in Italian, but there’s nothing unfriendly about this warming dish; the word refers to the spicy kick that chile flakes deliver to the tomato sauce, but it’s optional in our version. If you’ve never tried celery root before, let us introduce you. When mashed, it’s got a creamy potato-like texture and a celery-esque flavor. To peel it, treat it like you would a grapefruit or pineapple: cut off the ends to give yourself a sturdy base, then follow the vegetable’s contours and slice off the gnarly peel in strips.
In your bag
- 1 celery root
- 1 yellow onion
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- Fresh oregano
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Nutrition per serving
Calories 600, Total Fat 28g (36% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 115mg (38% DV), Sodium 680mg (30% DV), Total Carb. 53g (19% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Protein 37g
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the celery root
- Place the celery root on its rounded side; using a sharp knife, trim off the ends. Stand it upright on a cut end and cut away the peel in strips, following the contours of the root. Cut the flesh into quarters, then cut the quarters into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion; set aside half for the chicken.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons; set aside half for the chicken.
While the celery root simmers, prepare the chicken and sauce.
Prep the last ingredients; brown the chicken
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; coarsely chop the pepper.
- Strip the oregano leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging; drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Cook the sauce; finish the chicken
Remove from the heat. Discard the bay leaf; stir in the balsamic vinegar.