Braised chicken with carrots, potatoes, and thyme
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
2 Servings, 520 Calories/Serving, 20 - 30 Minutes
A collaboration between the Williams-Sonoma Test Kitchen and Sun Basket, this one-pot meal comes together in about 30 minutes, but has the hearty flavor of an all-day braise. The key is to sear the chicken before simmering it in the sauce. Known to food scientists as the Maillard reaction, this browning step enriches the meat and sauce. But won’t happen if the chicken is still wet from the packaging, if the pan is too cold, or the meat gets overcrowded. So use your largest skillet, heat it well, and be sure to pat the meat as dry as you can before cooking.
- 1 red onion
- ½ pound red potatoes
- ¾ pound carrots
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- ½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Cup4Cup gluten-free flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop the red onion.
- Scrub the potatoes; cut in half lengthwise, then cut each half into quarters.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the ends; cut in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into 1½-inch pieces.
Sear the chicken
- Cut off a small corner of the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt, pepper, and the paprika.
Start cooking the vegetables
Finish the chicken and vegetables
While the stew simmers, prepare the herbs.
Prep the herbs; finish the stew
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves and set aside for garnish. Remove the pot from the heat, stir in the thyme, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 520, Protein: 33 g, Total Fat: 19 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 9.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 95 mg, Carbohydrates: 57 g, Fiber: 11 g, Added Sugar (chicken broth contains trace amounts of organic cane sugar): 0 g, Sodium: 490 mg