Braised chicken with carrots, potatoes, and thyme
20 – 35 Minutes
Comfort food at its finest, this gluten-free chicken supper tastes like it’s been cooking all day, but comes together in just about half an hour and in just one pan.
In your bag
- 1 red onion
- 7 ounces new potatoes
- 3 or 4 carrots (about 10 ounces total)
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- ½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Cup4Cup gluten-free flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
If you’re tempted to peel the potatoes, remember what you’ll be taking away: Along with flavor, many nutrients are contained in that thin outer layer. Potato skins hold more fiber and iron than the flesh does, not to mention protein, potassium, and magnesium. So consider putting down the peeler and scrubbing the spuds instead. You’ll save time, too.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Scrub or peel the potatoes; cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, each half into ½-inch pieces.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the ends; cut the carrots in half lengthwise, then crosswise on the diagonal into 1½-inch lengths.
Sear the chicken
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt, pepper, and the paprika.
Start cooking the vegetables
Finish the chicken and vegetables
When the chicken and vegetables are almost done, prepare the herbs.
Prep the herbs; finish the dish
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
- Scrub the potatoes.
- Scrub the carrots.
- Strip the parsley and thyme leaves from the stems.
Calories: 450, Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 15g (23% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g (13% DV), Cholesterol: 115mg (38% DV), Sodium: 520mg (22% DV), Carbohydrates: 48g (16% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: (Chicken broth contains trace amounts of cane sugar): 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.