Braised chickpeas and carrots with quinoa and yogurt
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian
20 – 30 Minutes
Sweet and savory is the name of the game in this satisfying, meatless, and gluten-free meal. We collaborated with the Test Kitchen at Williams-Sonoma to create an enticing spice blend that makes the vegetables pop. The warming spices are balanced with a creamy, cooling, Indian-inspired yogurt topping.
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- 6 ounces carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- Chickpea spice blend (sweet smoked paprika - cumin - cinnamon - ground ginger - cayenne pepper)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup roasted almonds
- Fresh cilantro
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
Rinse and cook the quinoa
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa.
While the quinoa cooks, prepare and cook the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the ends; cut the carrots in half lengthwise and any long carrots into 1- to 2-inch lengths.
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the chickpeas.
Cook the vegetables
Stir in the spice blend and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, raisins, and ½ cup water. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the carrots are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
While the vegetables cook, prepare the garnishes and the yogurt dressing.
Prep the garnishes; make the yogurt dressing
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
- Remove any coarse stems from the cilantro.
Calories: 680, Protein: 23 g, Fiber: 14 g, Total Fat: 28 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 9 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 370 mg, Carbohydrates: 87 g, Added Sugar: 0 g.
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.