Braised cod with olives and cherry tomatoes
Gluten Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
In this summery Mediterranean meal, fresh lemon, tomatoes, and Castelvetrano olives bring bright and briny notes to quick-braised cod.
- 1 leek
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 ounce Castelvetrano olives
- 3 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Two 6-ounce wild Pacific cod fillets
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- ½ wedge escarole
Wild-caught Pacific cod is as good to eat as it is for building a more sustainable food system. Seafood Watch, a nonprofit committed to promoting socially responsible and sustainable seafood practices, rates it a “best choice.”
Make it Leaner: Omit the oil in the escarole salad and you will immediately save 60 calories and 7 grams of fat. Using half of the olives will drop the meal total by 15 calories and 200 mg of sodium.
Prep the braise ingredients
- Trim the root end from the leek; cut the leek in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons. Soak the leek in a medium bowl of cold water, stirring occasionally to loosen any dirt, and allow the dirt to settle at the bottom. Skim the leek from the surface of the water and pat dry.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure ½ teaspoon.
- Cut the olives in half.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate (the juice will be divided between the cod and the salad).
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Divide into two equal portions, one for the cod and one for the salad.
Prep and braise the cod
- Pat the cod dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In the same pan, add the leek and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Return the cod to the pan, add the olives, tomatoes, lemon zest, half the lemon juice, half the parsley, as many chile flakes as you like, and ¾ cup water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until the cod is flaky and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
While the cod and vegetables cook, prepare the white beans and the escarole salad.
Mash the beans
- Rinse the white beans.
Make the escarole salad
- Trim the root end from the escarole; separate the escarole leaves and coarsely chop, if desired.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 38g (76% DV), Fiber: 14g (56% DV), Total Fat: 18g (28% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 80mg (27% DV), Sodium: 700mg (29% DV), Carbohydrates: 36g (12% DV), Total Sugars: 5g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: fish.