Moroccan braised chicken with pan-roasted carrots
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
2 Servings, 630 Calories/Serving, 30 - 40 Minutes
This easy chicken dinner incorporates the tart, sweet, and savory flavors of a classic Moroccan tagine. Sear the chicken until well browned, but don’t worry about cooking it all the way through. The meat will finish cooking as it braises in the sauce while soaking up the flavors of the spices.
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- 1 lemon
- 1 yellow onion
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Moroccan spice blend (sweet smoked paprika - cumin - ground ginger - garam masala - cinnamon - dried oregano - urfa biber - bay leaf)
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 6 ounces baby rainbow carrots
Brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
Prep and cook the lemon and onion
- Cut the lemon crosswise into four ¼-inch-thick slices; discard any seeds.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Finely chop enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
Prep the garnishes; finish the chicken
- Cut the olives in half.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Prep and cook the carrots
- Scrub the carrots. Peel them, if desired.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 630, Protein: 32 g, Total Fat: 44 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 24.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7.5 g, Saturated Fat: 10 g, Cholesterol: 145 mg, Carbohydrates: 27 g, Fiber: 7 g, Added Sugar: 4 g, Sodium: 680 mg