In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Moroccan braised chicken with Kalamata olives, lemon, and carrots
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 490 Calories/Serving
This easy chicken dinner incorporates the tart, sweet, and savory flavors of a classic Moroccan tagine. Just braise the meat in the sauce and let our house-made blend of spices do the legwork.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- Sunbasket Moroccan spice blend (coriander - turmeric - cinnamon - sweet paprika - granulated garlic - nutmeg - white pepper)
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 2 organic carrots
Calories 490, Total Fat 28g (36% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 135mg (45% DV), Sodium 860mg (37% DV), Total Carb. 33g (12% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 14g (Incl. 6g Added Sugars, 12% DV), Protein 32g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken crosswise into ½-inch-thick strips; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate; do not clean the pan. While the chicken is cooking, prepare the lemon, onion, and garlic.
Prep and cook the lemon, onion, and garlic
- Cut the lemon crosswise into four [eight] ¼-inch-thick slices; discard any seeds. Save any remaining lemon for another use.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
In the same pan used for the chicken, stir in the lemon, onion, garlic, and Moroccan spice blend, season with salt, and cook over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ¼ cup [½ cup] water and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until the water evaporates and the onion softens, 4 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the olives.
Prep the olives; finish the braised chicken
- Cut the olives in half, checking for any pits.
To the pan with the lemon, onion, and garlic, add the chicken and any accumulated juices, maple syrup, and 1 cup [2 cups] water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the olives and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the chicken is cooking, prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the remaining ingredients; cook the carrots
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim the ends.
In a medium frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the carrots, season with salt, and cook, turning a few times, until tender and lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
Transfer the chicken, lemon, sauce, and carrots to individual plates. Garnish with the cilantro and serve.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure the water for the braise.
- Scrub the carrots.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the cilantro.