Braised tofu and escarole stir-fry with Bhutan red rice
Stir frying isn’t difficult but it does require organizational skills. Get all your ingredients ready and have them close to your stove, so you can work quickly. And don’t worry if you don’t have a wok, a sauté pan works just fine.
- ¾ cup Bhutan red rice
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 12 ounces Hodo Soy firm tofu
- 10 ounces turnips
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ½ ounce ginger
- 10 ounces escarole
- ½ teaspoon kimchee chile flakes
- Stir-fry sauce (rice wine vinegar-honey-tamari-mirin)
- ¼ cup fried shallots
Cook the rice
While the rice cooks, toast the sesame seeds and prepare the vegetables for the stir fry.
Toast the sesame seeds
Prep the stir-fry ingredients
- Cut the tofu in half lengthwise and then into ½-inch pieces.
- Peel the turnips and cut into ½- inch wedges.
- Mince the ginger and garlic.
- Wash the escarole and chop into 2-inch pieces.
Cook the tofu
Cook the stir-fry
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 750, Protein: 29 g, Total Fat: 31 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 10.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrate: 91 g, Fiber: 14 g, Added Sugar: 10 g, Sodium: 720 mg