In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Braised tofu with turnips, spring onions, and green garlic
Dairy-Free, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 550 Calories/Serving
Green garlic is one of our favorite spring vegetables. Harvested before the bulb has a chance to develop cloves, it looks a lot like a scallion and has a mild, fresh-tasting flavor, far less pungent than the more mature garlic. Use both the white and green portions of the stalk, trimming away any woody parts.
In your bag
- ¾ cup Bhutan red rice
- 8 ounces Hodo Soy braised tofu
- 8 ounces baby turnips
- 1 to 2 celery stalks
- 3 ounces spring onions
- 2 green garlic stalks
- ½ ounce fresh ginger
- Fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon kimchi chili flakes (optional)
- Braising liquid (tamari-rice wine vinegar-Shaoxing rice wine-honey)
Calories: 550, Protein: 21 g, Fiber: 10 g, Total Fat: 15 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5.5 g, Saturated Fat: 1.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 740 mg, Carbohydrates: 85 g, Added Sugar: 10 g.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
Prep the vegetables and tofu
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch-thick cubes.
- Scrub the turnips, trim the tops, and cut into quarters.
- Rinse the celery and cut on the diagonal into ½-inch wedges.
- Trim the root ends from the spring onions and thinly slice, separating the whites from the green tops.
- Trim the root ends of the green garlic, remove the papery outer layer, and finely chop the whites and most of the greens.
- Peel the ginger and finely chop.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Cook the vegetables and tofu
Add the turnips, season with salt, and cook until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the celery, spring onion whites, green garlic, ginger, and as many of the kimchi chile flakes as you like. Stir and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tofu, braising liquid, and ½ cup water. Cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender and the tofu is heated through, 4 to 6 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the spring onion tops and cilantro. Stir to combine and season with salt to taste.